Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How would you know to stop?
RE: How would you know to stop?
Maybe never? Some benefit from weight loss (as far as OSA), many do not.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How would you know to stop?
(07-23-2019, 06:39 AM)John24 Wrote: The machine seems to be working exceptionally well for me, though I've only been using it for about two weeks.  I've had zero events the past four nights (since I got a more compatible mask), and the highest since I started was 0.97.  So the thought occurred to me how would you know if you no longer needed the machine?  

I know it's not something that just spontaneously goes away, but I've also read that weight can contribute and I've lost over 50 pounds since early March, with about 30 of that coming since I had the home sleep study.

If you're having no events... I'd conclude it's because your machine is working well for you!

How would I know to stop? 
- I fell asleep at the movie theater, and kept waking up choking.  So... that was an indicator that my 35 pound weight loss has not gotten rid of my apnea.
- ONE night (since being diagnosed), I've forgotten to sleep with the mask... and I had headache and lethargy all day.  So that was an indicator it's not time to get rid of my machine.
- I've fallen asleep on the couch a couple times, and wake up choking or not feeling well.
- ONE day I napped without my mask, and I felt gross for the rest of the day.

So... I know I need my machine still.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,470 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,558 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 541 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Gross [CPAP] New RESMED 10 Won't Stop ddwalker 4 410 12-15-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,215 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,484 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  airmini smart stop leads to many on/off events elliotg 4 567 10-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.