Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask?
Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask?
I just switched to hybrid mask 3 months ago from a FF mask over nose.  How to you find the hybrid mask?   I feel less constrained and not suffucated with it but sometimes harder to get a seal.   I read somewhere that those with nasal congestion should not wear a hybrid mask -  I was looking over my sleep diary from 2023 when I wore FF over the nose mask and I also had major congestion problems wearing the FF over the nose mask.    Anyone have similar experiences ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask?
I wear the F&P Evora hybrid FFM, I am able to seal at some moderately high pressure. I have gone through numerous Nasal, Pillow, Wisp, Over the nose FFM, Total FFM and Hybrid FFM. I have found that I need Flonase nasal spray during allergy season due to congestion, no matter which mask I use. I also tape my mouth no matter which mask I use, as it helps minimize leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer the hybrid full face masks for several reasons. It is more challenging to get a seal under the nose, but once adjusted properly I don’t find that it’s a problem. I don’t see congestion as a concern in this instance, as there’ll be airflow through the mouth, and don’t think that an over the nose full face would be different in this situation. At night I flush my sinuses with saline, and my sinuses at least start out mostly clear.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really enjoying my F40. It's tiny like, half the size of the Dreamwear. Note, though, if you use it: the unit has to be set to "pillows".
Post Reply Post Reply
As with every mask, depends on you and/or your face. And surely the specific mask model and size.

For me, the over the nose masks resulted in 4 hours of not sleeping with painful sinus pressure from the mask. The hybrid full face resolved that - for me. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better. Tilting at perfect is too expensive to interest me much, though I keep paying attention to possible better replacements. But I'll be paying full price to test them, so it's not a game I want to lose at much.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first mask when I began therapy was an Evora hybrid.  It was a disaster due to my nasal congestion and I switched to an F20 over the nose type.  That has its own issues since I bruise easily due to anti-coagulants and the bridge of my nose was always tender.  It worked, nothing more.

I had turbinate reduction surgery recently and I can now use both nostrils.  Normally they alternated for as far back as I can remember.  They’re clear enough now to convince me to trial the ResMed F40.  The results so far have been very favorable 

As for your initial statement about hybrid masks being compatible with nasal congestion, my experience was not compatible. 

Good luck on your journey,
Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the hybrid masks much better than the over-the-nose FFMs. The F20 pressed on my sinuses and I always woke up with big puffy bags under my eyes. Until a few days ago, I was using the ResMed F30i, which worked okay for me. The last few nights I've been using the new F40. There are a few things I don't like about it that I'm trying to resolve, but overall I like it better - I get a GREAT seal. I don't have any leaks even when sleeping on my side or stomach. I think one of the biggest tips in getting a good fit and seal with the hybrid masks is to have the top straps pretty loose, so that the headgear just barely holds the mask under your nose, and then use the lower masks for tightening as needed. 

I don't usually have congestion, but when I do, I don't have any trouble sleeping with the hybrid mask compared to the FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mouth tape and nose pillow OR full face mask, pros and cons? SeePak 16 400 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  Some masks better for pressures above ~8? UsuallyTired 4 126 Yesterday, 06:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nose congestion and UARS Jstalez 10 270 07-25-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Jstalez
  Sharing my observations on refreshing old f30i masks erouting 9 196 07-21-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Angry [Equipment] Masks all either cause pressure sores or blow off my face middleofnowhere 10 341 07-10-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?) Cape67 6 400 06-25-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 279 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.