Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hyperventilating during sleep with cpap on. Please advise?
Sad 
Hyperventilating during sleep with cpap on. Please advise?
Hi all, I'm new here, I have sleep apnoea and a cpap machine, and my husband is the same. He was diagnosed later than me, and has a more modern machine, but we both have single pressure cpap. So I hope you'll help me, my question is about him, he's hyperventilating (65 respirations per minute) whilst fast asleep with his cpap on, not leaking/blowing, and it's going on for hours at night, if not all night. Everything tells me this is totally unacceptable, and that at the very least he's not getting the benefit from his cpap, and at the worst there's something far more serious going on eg heart issues etc. So I've searched and searched online, I have access to all the journals I could want, but I can't find anything worth documenting on hyperventilating during sleep with a cpap machine on!!!!! It's driving me crazy. If I could find something tangible I could a) convince him to call the sleep clinic or b) adjust something on the machine and solve the problem. Can anyone please offer any advice? I would be eternally grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hyperventilating during sleep with cpap on. Please advise?
  • Might I suggest you download and install OSCAR to document what your device is recording and post the screen shots to the forum to get more specific suggestions.
  • Also, you may wish to consult with your sleep doctor to evaluate your husband's EEG during a sleep test to rule out advanced causes like lung disorders -- COPD, asthma, and emphysema-- or head injury, etc.  
  • Is your husband taking stimulants or other drugs prior to bedtime? Is he having dreams which have exciting or emotional content? 
  • Is your husband a mouth breather? Perhaps a nasal mask to force breathing through the nose to increase the amount of air that is exhaled and immediately re-inhaled, which may be richer in carbon dioxide.
  • Have you read the article at https://www.sleepdisordersguide.com/arti...-treatment
Best of luck. -- Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, thank you for replying! He doesn't take any stimulants, doesn't drink coffee, has to have a leg falling off before he even takes a painkiller!!!! I'll get reading, and see what I can learn, and I'm telling him straight now that he's got to call them!!! I've just looked and there is an SD card in there, so I can download etc. I'll come back to you with some data. Thank you again, Helen.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason the OSCAR charts help is that it lets us drill down on the cause of the high respiration rate. In some cases, we see an extremely disrupted respiration rate due to cardiogenic oscillations that show up in the respiratory wave. Another source can be severe flow limitations that cause a halting inspiratory flow that shows up in the respiration rate. In others, we have seen a form of central apnea that is helped by using bilevel with either adaptive servo ventilation or an extended inspiratory pressure support that allows for a full breath once inspiration begins, and removes the oscillations. In every case above, the patient is not hyperventilating, but has an underlying normal or even slow respiration rate with a highly disturbed respiratory wave that appears like hyperventilation. True hyperventilation is not sustainable due to the loss of carbon dioxide from the blood stream that results in a reduction of respiratory drive and periodic central apnea. Hyperventilation or respiratory oscillation that seem to go on for long periods of time are actually a form of obstructive or central respiratory disturbance that we can sometimes mitigate. This requires analysis of the respiratory wave. How have you determined he is breathing so rapidly?

Here is an example of how we can use OSCAR to view flow limitation and interpret causes and possible mitigation approaches. In this example the original poster did not continue to follow-up. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...using-CPAP

In this example, the author resolved the problem of hyperventilation by using ASV http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid223896 Long thread, but you can start where I linked and skip to near the end to see the resolution results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleeprider, thanks so much for such a detailed response. I have watched him, looked for the movement of his chest in and out with each breath, and counted. Thankfully he has phoned them this morning, they've upped the rate and they're monitoring him remotely (fancy, can't do that on mine!!) for the next seven days and they'll go from there. Hopefully he's on a path to a resolution one way or the other. I'll definitely get that programme and download the data if we don't get anywhere, but I'm hopeful the team at the hospital will help. As I said, I massively appreciate you taking the time. Helen x
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 264 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 319 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 211 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 222 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 226 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.