Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hyperventilation?
Hyperventilation?
I wish I had recorded myself sleep last night and used my oximeter because it sure seemed like there was something strange going on.

I woke up a few hours after sleeping and felt like I was having trouble breathing so turned my machine off and took mask off for a few minutes. I felt a little more congested then usual and after putting my mask back on felt like I was having trouble breathing again and was taking big deep fast breaths and almost started to panic a bit so turned the machine off and eventually fell asleep without it. 

I woke up a few hours later and felt like something was wrong. I assume I had awoken from a similar event and I was in fight or flight mode. I was not able to get back to sleep for a while, when I finally got calmed down I put the machine back on and went back to sleep. About a half an hour later my OSCAR data shows my flow rate significantly increased (respiration rate remained about the same at 16 while minute vent significantly increased until it plateaued around 18 for 10 minutes).

Hyperventilation to me is increased respiration rate but it got me curious on what this would be considered? I don't believe I was awake at that time as I doubt I would have kept the mask on for that long, I didn't even last a minute earlier in the night when that was happening.

This is the first time this has happened in 2.5 months of APAP use.

Some images to help understand.

[attachment=19480]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hyperventilation?
I don't think it is useful to try to analyze a one-off event of hyperventilation. It is most likely external to the therapy. I was working with another thread today with some alarming periodic hyperventilation that has been ongoing along with other symptoms. I'm pretty sure you are in a different category altogether. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing-advice
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I know I shouldn't over analyse it, I just wanted to confirm it was hyperventilation as that is what I assumed it was.

I believe I have sleep issues (and health issues in general) beyond OSA and the more I can put together to try and convince doctors the better. I will probably record myself tonight with all the gear, doubt it will happen again but night before last was a little off too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geer1,
Yes, it can be concerning. I wouldn't brush it off, but document your symptoms clearly for your doctor. It's best to get checked out and have piece of mind, than to keep worrying about something.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In your profile, you show two masks: P30 and P10. Both of those masks have been problematic for me after some use (weeks/months). I believe their diffusers get clogged, and stop venting as adequately. Then my body freaks out.

That's my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup that is what it was. I had been using the P10 because I don't have a large pillow for the P30i yet. I tried to fall asleep tonight and was having the same issue. I switched to the P30 since it vents much better and that solved it so P10 must be plugged up. 

No wonder I was hyperventilating last night, was full of CO2... 

Now I just need to calm down and get to sleep tonight...
Post Reply Post Reply
Geer1, had you recently washed the P10 mask frame? Most vent clogging is residual water on the diffusion vents. In addition to washing, if you had condensation in the mask that could also cause the problem, and I recall it began later in the night. I have been using the P10 since it was released in 2015 and never experienced a clogged vent. I think the design may have been opened up a bit about a year ago and it now flows more freely. That would explain the hyperventilation, but I'm curious what possibly led to the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I washed it about a week ago so don't think that would be it. I have been using a humidifier in the room and I had it set higher then I probably should have so it would run constantly in cold weather we had recently and the last few nights it was warmer which was allowing for higher humidity level in the room. Maybe that played a role or else was just plugged. This P10 has never vented that well (only a little bit of vented air at 10 cm pressure) and maybe is a bad one.

Last night I was having trouble getting to sleep even wearing the P30i so slept without mask again and used oximeter. Oximeter results were fine only one quick dip down to 88%.

That was my 2nd time using the oximeter with no APAP and both nights were fine (as have the 4 nights I have used it with APAP).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hyperventilation only while using CPAP sarge21 7 3,512 08-05-2023, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [Pressure] ASV/ hyperventilation/ UARS Larala 1 745 07-07-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question Apparent Hyperventilation JAR14 17 3,834 06-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Last Post: JAR14
Question Hyperventilation justMongo 9 8,295 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Lukie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.