Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I/E ratio
I/E ratio
I note that on all the posts from members that I look at  the Insp. is greater than the Exp. 
However, in the 5 years I have been on BIPAP my Insp. is always smaller than my Exp .

What is normal ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I/E ratio
Yes, the inspiration time should be shorter than the expiration time. The is the normal mode of breathing - fast in, slow out.

Some Philips machines misreport these values which leads to the inspiration looking longer than the expiration. The Oscar developers are aware of the problem which will be fixed in a later release of OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
We need to see your respiratory charts, RR, Flow Rate, Tidal and minute volume at full night and a few 2 minute zoomed views.  in addition to your daily charts Events, Flow Rate, Flow Limits, Pressure, Leaks, and snores.

Normal is expiration about twice as long as inspiration.  It is not uncommon to see inaccuracies in these measurements which is what the charts are for.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think Philips machines actually report inspiration and expiration time, but that it is interpolated from the flow rate by OSCAR (and previously Sleepyhead). I thought we had decided to fix the issue by changing the Philips inspiration time to start at a positive flow rather than zero, however if anyone would know it is Bonjour.

I wrote a detailed discussion section on this subject in the Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ailed_look
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2019, 08:49 PM)bonjour Wrote: We need to see your respiratory charts, RR, Flow Rate, Tidal and minute volume at full night and a few 2 minute zoomed views.  in addition to your daily charts Events, Flow Rate, Flow Limits, Pressure, Leaks, and snores.

Normal is expiration about twice as long as inspiration.  It is not uncommon to see inaccuracies in these measurements which is what the charts are for.

Bonjour : I was only trying to find out what the normal I/E ratio was and that is why I did not include any charts .

My BIPAP journey is going very well and I am satisfied with all of my statistics . By reading other members posts  I was able to keep making adjustments until I found the optimal settings to produce a low AHI ( averaging less than 0.40 for the past year ) and I was able to find the best setting for pressure support (3.4) that minimized centrals and also reduced my flow limitations( 0.00 for the 95% number and 0.14 for the maximum) .

So thanks for your reply but as I stated above I was only trying to determine what a normal I/E ratio would be  and you provided me with that answer .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] BiPAP Titration Help - I:E Ratio becomes 1:5 havishem 1 247 02-17-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Abnormal I:E ratio? Kobayashim4ru 7 862 08-29-2023, 07:28 PM
  Does EPR/CFlex change Flow Rate shape or I:E ratio? KeepSmiling 4 735 11-02-2022, 11:49 AM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Update: flow limitations, I:E ratio, and switch to VAuto Dormeo 1 950 06-29-2020, 08:35 PM
  I:E ratio and FL questions Dormeo 18 4,127 03-11-2019, 02:08 AM
Last Post: ajack
  I/E Ratio (?) zzzZorro 7 1,524 02-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Please explain I:E ratio yankees123 8 2,110 08-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Regular Joe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.