Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I am thinking of stopping CPAP to see if I get better results.
I am thinking of stopping CPAP to see if I get better results.
Folks, this is perhaps one of my first posts seeking opinion on my sleeping situation.
I really have never had an issue until recently (recent meaning the past 8 months or so.) 
But it has been too long to be feeling the way I do.

Short story: 
I barely have enough energy to function.
Last night when returning to bed after waking up to urinate, I was so out of it and was not thinking out of pure exhaustion,  that I did not put the CPAP pillows back on.  I crawled back to bed and fell asleep.
Today was the first time in months that I woke up invigorated!
I am thinking of forgoing the CPAP to see if better mornings are ahead.
(if you want to skip the long story, scroll down to the black text below about me retiring soon.)

Long story:
Ever since being diagnosed with very mild apnea some 6 years ago I have never really needed advice here- everything was good and it was really easy for me.  Once I got the settings dialed in, the adaptation to pillows and a machine was really easy.  But as of the last few months things are really not that good and I am not sure if CPAP is the case or not.  BUT, I am pretty sure that I am not getting good sleep.

For the past 6-8 months I have been noticing a great deal of lethargy and lack of energy.  To get anything done is performed literally by shear will-power.  Everything from waking up to getting the mere basics done such as job work, personal bookwork, shopping, etc. feels like a monumental task.  When this was going on, starting last fall, I just blamed it on the fact of being cooped up at home due to the plandemic.  I did not and do not mind the isolation (in fact, I welcomed it as I am very comfortable in my solitude;  where I live I am kinda' distant from the nearest town.)  Not a lot of folks around and I generally do not see neighbors until late spring when snow melts and humans come out of hibernation

Even though I take solace in my setting, I did notice a very slight difference in my attitude and while still having contact minimally with people through the winter I can understand how truly isolated people can get cabin fever.  I am glad that we did not have a good (or bad depending on perspective) winter.  Snow accumulations were not near as it can be in normal years.  Don't worry,  I am not looking for the ax to go "Shining" on anyone...  I just figured that all would get better in the spring and did not pay too much mind to the slug-like attitude.

That aside, now that summer is here in the High Country I want and need to get projects done before winter sets in.  Don't laugh, it will be here very soon... in fact, we had snow yesterday and last night!

I have literally no energy and it has been this way for many weeks (months) now.  I blamed it on the mindset as well as my solitude of winter (all the while telling myself that spring will be better.)

Things for the most part are getting back to normal.  I have been back in my office going on 10 weeks or so now.  I had anticipated that getting back to a routine would invigorate me.  It did not catch on right away.  Maybe more time was needed.  But this is not the case as sluggishness has continued.

My projects at work keep me focused enough to complete a day's tasks.  Outside of work I am a literal sloth!  The last few months of weekends were spent in my lounge chair or even in bed sleeping.  I did not feel too bad in the early spring since weekends were still not able to be outside due to weather ans snow.  But now it is really nice outside and I need and should be in a place other than bed!  I guilted myself to go to the doctor a couple of weeks ago.

I literally feel mentally and physically exhausted. In the midst of this I am literally yawning many times over almost all of the time.  I have put on weight.  I am out of breath even when accenting a single flight of stairs.  I am short of breath.  If I do anything that requires any exertion I am wiped out!  A couple of weeks ago when cutting the lawn I literally had to stop the mower and set down on the grass to rest.  I did have a gallon jug of water and kept hydrated.  But after finishing the chores and showering down I vomited dry heaves pulling some liquid front the depth of my innards. 

I am eating well and feel I am not dehydrated as I am drinking plenty of fluids.  I have cut back greatly on alcohol.  Maybe a beer or two and a glass of wine a week (and many times not even any.)  Plenty of fruits, veggies and proteins.  Have even treated myself to ice cream once in a while.

Doctor had me go for an echo-cardiogram 2 weeks ago.  Nothing of significance to relate.  I am scheduled to see a cardiologist and a pulmo-nologist, but that will not take place for anther 8 weeks.

Bloodwork is OK.  Vitamin D is low which is typical for me and I take 3000 units OTC tablets every day.
Blood pressure is good as are cholesterol and other results.

Retiring soon:
As alluded, last night by accident I slept without the CPAP for most of the night and woke up today better than I have felt in months!  Enough so to be able to focus in order to write down this narrative.

As I retire, I am looking back on one of the best days I have experienced in months!
Got a decent amount of work done and grilled a sensible meal with a glass of wine to rejoice.
If everyday could be as good as today!  Wouldn't Be Nice.

I am tired now (2150 local time) but not total emaciated exhaustion like other days.  I am relaxed enough to feel easy sleep coming on soon.
I am tempted to purposely not wear the pillows tonight to see what tomorrow brings.

Will let you tomorrow know what a night without the pipe to my face will be like.
(...am keeping it close by in case I feel the need to hook up during the night.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I am thinking of stopping CPAP to see if I get better results.
Do you have a recent chart from OSCAR? We can at least have a look and see if there's anything showing up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I am thinking of stopping CPAP to see if I get better results.
I was in kind of a similar place but coming from totally a different direction. My strategy was to download and update my data into OSCAR and page through the previous couple of months.

One thing that I found is that I had many many nights where I had massive leaking going on, and it was obvious that I was continuously waking up.

Remember that the mechanism by which apnea destroys your life is indirect -- apnea destroys your sleep, then it's the sleep disturbances that destroy your life. So if circumstances find another way to destroy your sleep (in my case lots and lots of leaks) then you are on the same road to hell -- just with a different on-ramp!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 154 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 127 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,176 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 464 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.