Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I can breathe with the mask, but stop breathing when I drift off to sleep. Why?
I can breathe with the mask, but stop breathing when I drift off to sleep. Why?
For some reason, I have to "manually" breathe with the mask on (full face, i breathe with the nose). I can't just stop "managing" my breath. On multiple occasions when I was drifting off, I could feel myself stop breathing. Half a second later I would wake up (can't breathe).

I already managed to fall asleep with a machine before many times. For the last 1-2 years I couldnt fall asleep with the machine so I stopped, but now I want to return to using it. Now I can fall asleep, but not automatically breathe. Wtf brain? Why?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can breathe with the mask, but stop breathing when I drift off to sleep. Why?
I'm only making a guess, it's possible that either since you've now resumed PAP therapy you've begun to have Central Apnea (as in treatment emergent Centrals) or you had pre-existing CA beforehand. Without any data it's hard to be specific. Saying you stop breathing sounds more like Central Apneas.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can breathe with the mask, but stop breathing when I drift off to sleep. Why?
Your profile states that you are using a nasal mask, whereas in your post, you state you are using a full face mask.  Can you confirm which?

Either way, a pressure of 4cm is too low, especially with a full face mask.  You are probably feeling "air-starved."
Raise your pressure to at least 7cm and use your mask with machine on for at least an hour before bed... sitting up reading or watching TV.  This will help you get used to the feel of the pressure.

Also, if your Cpap has exhale pressure relief, set it to 3. This helps breathe out against the pressure.

These suggestions are for comfort, as we can't see data.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2021, 02:24 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm only making a guess, it's possible that either since you've now resumed PAP therapy you've begun to have Central Apnea (as in treatment emergent Centrals) or you had pre-existing CA beforehand. Without any data it's hard to be specific. Saying you stop breathing sounds more like Central Apneas.
I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Is it possible to develop an additional kind of apnea with time? 

I have a weinmann, prisma smart machine. Will you be able to understand it's data?
(07-10-2021, 06:21 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your profile states that you are using a nasal mask, whereas in your post, you state you are using a full face mask.  Can you confirm which?

Either way, a pressure of 4cm is too low, especially with a full face mask.  You are probably feeling "air-starved."  
Raise your pressure to at least 7cm and use your mask with machine on for at least an hour before bed... sitting up reading or watching TV.  This will help you get used to the feel of the pressure.

Also, if your Cpap has exhale pressure relief, set it to 3.  This helps breathe out against the pressure.

These suggestions are for comfort, as we can't see data.
I Have been using nasal mask when I started, but now I am trying full face. I will try upping the pressure.

Will people here understand prisma smart/weinmann data? OSCAR can't read those machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are using the Weinmann/Prisma software and have recent data to upload, someone will take a look.

Also, if you have a copy of your sleep study, post it here redacting personal information.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To the question, can you develop other Apnea like Central Apnea? Yes. I'm thinking specifically of treatment emergent CA. What can happen is your machine can disrupt the currently normal to your body CO2 levels. There's less of the signal to breathe and there's where you get a Central Apnea. This type will eventually diminish once your body gets used to therapy.

Again I'm only making a guess that treatment emergent Central Apnea had happened. But if it did, this would be a reason why.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
nm. I meant to recommend full face over nasal.
Post Reply Post Reply
As opal said your min is to low. 4 is the absolute lowest a pap machine can go. These machines are used for children and 4 with their small lungs is OK but you are an adult and need more oxygen. The higher the min number is the more oxygen you are receiving when in inhale. I need at least 9 or I am pulling off my mask to get a large enough amount of air. 7 would be the lowest I would suggest the setting. If you still have the same problem don't hesitate to go to 8 or 9.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,090 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.