Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I feel horrible even while using APAP - advice?
RE: I feel horrible even while using APAP - advice?
(10-31-2019, 10:17 PM)bonjour Wrote: OK,  I'd like you to make some changes.
1. Turn off the Ramp. Your pressures are low, and you shouldn't need it
2. Set EPR= Full Time.  It is currently set to Ramp Only,  Your Sleep Study showed a large number of RERAs and your Flow Limitations are low but they are fairly consistent, and per the thread title, you feel horrible, and this should help with that

At the end of your initial post you asked "is this UARS?" and based on your Sleep Study says that is a real possibility.
Based on your latest daily charts, the answer is that it is less likely.

Setting EPR = Full Time (it is already set to 3) will help with your Flow Limitations and RERAs (only one on your latest daily).

Do that and see how you feel.

So the EPR isn't already on and functioning when not ramping? I have turned the EPR down to 2 under what was apparently still Ramp settings and I couldn't breathe very well. Turned it back up to 3 and it was fine, so that confuses me how it works but technically working until the Ramp when in Ramp mode.

What are the Flow Limitations in layman's terms?
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow Limitations may be looked at as a Hypopnea that doesn't meet the restriction requirements of 50 to 80%, so a flow of 50% or less of normal. So
Apnea: 80-100 %
Hypopneas 50-80%
Flow limitations ? -50%

RERAs are a series of Flow Limitations that end with arousal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2019, 11:19 PM)jmr106 Wrote: What are the Flow Limitations in layman's terms?

Breathing restriction.

Your FL numbers and graph look similar to, and maybe even a little worse than, mine when I started with CPAP treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
jmr106, just to clarify per your post #11: your EPR is currently not set to be on all night; it is set to be on only during your ramp period. The advice is to turn off the ramp but make sure the EPR of 3 is set to be on all night. Let us know if you have trouble making that change to your settings.

About the mask issues: something to consider is a hose lift (hose stand). I use a P10 and like it, but I turn from side to side a lot and dealing with the hose was exhausting. I now have it routed up out of the way with a Hose Buddy, which works very well for me, and I have a lightweight collapsible hose stand for travel that works well enough. The maker of that one is Arden Innovations. With both stands, it helps a lot that the P10 short hose is quite flexible.

Other people have described DIY solutions, so if you are a tinkerer, you might be able to put something together that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes that's how I'd interpret ramp and EPR edits too. On the hose management, there's another option, I do not know any formal name for it. It attaches to your hose on one end and an alligator clip on the other then hangs off your pj's or pillow cover taking the hose weight off the mask. I don't have either frame or clip style myself yet so No Comment on how effective personally. But I read lots of positives on both types being very effective.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 on the hose holder. Something like this, for example:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ose-Holder
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:32 AM)Sheepish Wrote: +1 on the hose holder. Something like this, for example:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ose-Holder

How'd you get my picture with the red x on it?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So with the Dreamwear mask, my breathing is much, much better and easier throughout the night. Some work nights when there's a lot going on at home, we get in the bed too late and I average 5-6 hours. I also have a tendency for my body to not want to turn off until midnight or after, so that's also something that I'm working on - sleep hygiene. I've had horrible sleep for so long that I got used to a pattern of 5-6 hours a night during most weekdays and then I absolutely crash on Saturday and Sunday (off days from work). The 5-6 hours basically feels the same as 8-10 hours, so I'm used to making it on that little bit of sleep, but I'm sure that's not good for my body.

With that being said, here's last night's under full-time EPR of 3. I also raised the max pressure to 12, but of course the typical max of 8.9 is what ended up being the pressure. Very common to not even hit the 9.0, just the odd 8.9 virtually every time except for really bad nights that are far between. Minimum pressure was raised to 7.4. Might try 8 tonight and then 9 tomorrow night if all goes well.

Note the CA's on last night's data. 4 hours 58 minutes, 0.8 AHI 2L/min leak rate and 0.6 central AI. Unsure if these are RERAs being misinterpreted by the machine as central apneas.

Tonight will be my first 8+ hour night under the newer full-time settings. The P30i silicone nasal pillows apparently aren't for me and have an odd sizing compared to something like the P10. P30i has too high of a leak rate for me, so the Dreamwear is going to be my go-to mask. I also came across something called Snugs that supposedly fit around full face masks to make them less painful and uncomfortable. I have the full face mask for the Dreamwear, too...I just didn't care for it. It would be very helpful when I have a really bad cold, however. The biggest problem was the painful pressure of the part just below the nose pressing on the area just under the  nose.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Also, is there some way for me to tell with more certainty if those centrals are truly centrals or simply something like RERAs being misinterpreted by the machine? The crazy part is that they are there for a day or two and then gone completely on another day, then come back again. If I'm more tired than normal due to a day or two of sleeping even worse than normal, they show up. If I'm more well-rested, 1 or completely 0 show up.
Post Reply Post Reply
No 2 nights are ever the same. Some variability is to be expected. Are they actually centrals, a close up 2 minute view will usually show.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 169 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,213 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 460 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 140 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,449 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.