Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I stop breathing when falling asleep (sleep-onset central apnea) with AirCurve 10 ASV
I stop breathing when falling asleep (sleep-onset central apnea) with AirCurve 10 ASV
Whenever I transition from being awake to being asleep, I stop breathing, i.e., experience sleep-onset central apnea. When this happens, my ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV device suddenly increases pressure support and prompts me to start breathing again, which startles me and wakes me up.

This period when I'm falling asleep is the time I see most of my flagged events. Once I'm asleep, though, it's smooth sailing with no or few flagged events and no need for a lot of pressure support.  

1. Is my ASV device capable of preventing this specific type of event?

2. What setting adjustments do you recommend to deal with this specific type of event?

Attached are two OSCAR screenshots showing just one example of how I stopped breathing when falling asleep during an afternoon nap.

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I stop breathing when falling asleep (sleep-onset central apnea) with AirCurve 10 ASV
After looking at past posts in this forum, I can now see that central apnea events while falling asleep are not uncommon but that there is not a lot I can do about it while it happens.

Sleeprider said, "Central apnea events at sleep onset transition is not unusual, and it seems to clear up over time. There is not much we can do therapeutically to treat it."

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Cluster-Central-apneas-when-falling-asleep

I hope that my central apnea events while falling asleep eventually stop and that I can sleep throughout the night without having to wake up several times to go to the bathroom. When I have to fall asleep just once a night, I have few apnea events with the ASV device once I'm sound asleep. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I stop breathing when falling asleep (sleep-onset central apnea) with AirCurve 10 ASV
I noticed that with ASV, i tended to hold or stop my breath unconscious ly more often than with VAuto. I think you might encounter same problem with me. I dont have solution yet. Its not uncommon while i searched old threads for ASV users. And IT is exactly the reason for surge of pressure change that awake us.
Post Reply Post Reply
JCW888, yes, central apnea events while falling asleep are one trigger for the pressure surges, but there seems to be some flaw in the design that causes the device to continue to cycle through pressure surges for no good reason. And for many AirCurve 10 ASV users, blowing into the mask does not reset the device, whereas turning the device off and on does reset it.

Another cause of the uncontrollable pressure surges is setting the pressure too high for the individual user. Read my other post today to see that by setting my pressure much lower, I've been having more success with my device: 

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...ree?page=6
Post Reply Post Reply
Due to I might not swith my mask to full face, since I can stand it during my trial. So my best bet is to stick with my P10 then see if I can tolerate ASV. Or ignoring CA back to VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope the P10 works out for you with your ASV. You'll have to control leaks with the P10, which can be a challenge if you breathe through your mouth at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,168 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 164 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 391 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,524 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 355 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.