Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help interpreting OSCAR results from poor first night w/ pillows :(
Help interpreting OSCAR results from poor first night w/ pillows :(

It's not much data but it was a really.. disconcerting.. first night. I wore it a little earlier to get comfortable and things seemed ok. I noticed I salivated a lot and had to stop the machine and swallow frequently before I feel asleep. This lasted for 45 minutes or an hour probably. Then in the sleep handoff stage, things got really bad. I kept having this sensation where I was breathing fine, I thought, and then involuntarily would take these huge sucking breaths. I don't know if that's the hypopneas in the chart but I again, woke up several hours later having taken the pillows off. 

Additionally, I noticed tinnitus really bad this morning and I see that's sometimes a side effect. Still going but kind of forgot about it. 

Thoughts? Increase, decrease pressure? Leaks? 

Sad thanks in advance for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting OSCAR results from poor first night w/ pillows :(
I’m kinda lost on this. Your chart and other info is different. The chart doesn’t show any centrals but the left column shows centrals are the most of the events. And your pressures are like a Cpap (same min and max) but you show different settings at the top of the left column. 

I don’t know why the charts and the left column don’t match up. Without seeing what the data is for sure it is impossible to give you any suggestions.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2021, 06:38 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I’m kinda lost on this. Your chart and other info is different. The chart doesn’t show any centrals but the left column shows centrals are the most of the events. And your pressures are like a Cpap (same min and max) but you show different settings at the top of the left column. 

I don’t know why the charts and the left column don’t match up. Without seeing what the data is for sure it is impossible to give you any suggestions.

I figured out the pressure is because I started at 7 but adjusted it to minimum 8 after feeling like I wasn't getting enough air. That's the only thing I can come up with. 

I reimported the data and it's the same so unfortunately unless it's corrupted or wrong or whatever, I don't think I can do anything else.

Thanks for trying nonetheless!
Post Reply Post Reply
I can give you a generic setting. 

Give this  try
Autoset 
Max 15
Min 9
EPR 3

That should be much better than what you have. 9 will give you more air on inhale. The EPR will move the exhale pressure down to 6 and you will probably not ever reach the max of 15. Many members just leave the max at 20 in autoset.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2021, 06:53 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I can give you a generic setting. 

Give this  try
Autoset 
Max 15
Min 9
EPR 3

That should be much better than what you have. 9 will give you more air on inhale. The EPR will move the exhale pressure down to 6 and you will probably not ever reach the max of 15. Many members just leave the max at 20 in autoset.

Ok. Thanks. I had tried EPR 3 on my full face mask on the first night and had a real bad problem with centrals. I think that scared me a lot but sleeprider told me to try EPR 1 on my full face mask and that was ok. I didn't really know about EPR on the pillows.

Will give it a whirl tonight. Thanks so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not know about the centrals (that is why they ask us to keep all of the posts together is we can see what has been done before).

Centrals many times go away as you get use to the therapy. But until then we advise to lower EPR and try to narrow don between min and max pressure.

So wit that in mind let’s modify the settings.

Min 9
Max 12
EPR 1

If 9 seems to high when you start go to 8. Those settings will still help you and tomorrow you can post again and get better suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2021, 07:12 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I did not know about the centrals (that is why they ask us to keep all of the posts together is we can see what has been done before).

Centrals many times go away as you get use to the therapy. But until then we advise to lower EPR and try to narrow don between min and max pressure.

So wit that in mind let’s modify the settings.

Min 9
Max  12
EPR 1

If 9 seems to high when you start go to 8. Those settings will still help you and tomorrow you can post again and get better suggestions.

Makes sense! Sorry for not having the prior info.

Thanks so much for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
First, the CA events are turned off. Very simple, use the pull-down menu on the lower left to turn those events on. The tutorial image is below.

You had a lot of CA events and they were visible in the flow rate. You used pressure at 8.0 to 10.0 and did not use EPR. Your flow limits were very high, so pressure quickly went to the maximum. Your previous settings were 8.4 to 10.0 with EPR at 1 and you have not had significant CA events, and you were actually able to get good results at 7.0. I'd like to suggest you set minimum pressure 7.0, maximum pressure 9.0 and EPR 2. This should help with comfort and give you better results. This might have been a result of the new experience of using nasal pillows. Surprisingly, you didn't have much in the way of leaks.

[Image: OSCAR_daily_screen.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much! I think my OSCAR is a little glitchy but I’ll fiddle with the settings.

I’ll try those settings tonight and hope for the best!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 50 3 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 136 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 150 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 101 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.