Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI?
If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI?
Hi,

I'm currently having a hard time using CPAP with a nasal mask. I usually wake up 4-5 hours into therapy, and when trying to fall back asleep, I awake about every 5 minutes, until an hour in, I just give up and get out of bed. My AHI is low, usually around 3 during the 4-5 hours. I do feel congested, and have tried different humidification and heat level settings (I'm still not sure which settings are best for nasal congestion). So, I'm wondering if the nasal congestion is what's waking me up, or if nasal congestion was a problem, would my AHI be higher than it is? Thanks. Also, is there a recommendation for best heat/humidity settings? I have the Dreamstation 1 recertified.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI?
From all the OSCAR charts that I have seen here, some people's AHI was significantly higher with nasal congestion.  Others were not though.  

As far as recommendations for heat/humidity settings, it varies between individuals I have learned from reading the threads and posts here.  My advice would be to keep experimenting with the heat and humidity settings.  Next step would be experimenting with all the different over the counter products for congestion (you already may have done this).  A step after that would be to even see PCP and try to get a consultation to an Allergist (or even ENT) - depending on how much effort you want to put into it.  

It seems like Flonase helps many people here.  You have probably tried that.  Another thing could be trying a different style mask.  You may or may not want to get into this though.  Supplier #1 gives a 30 day trial of a mask - if it doesn't work, you can send it back for credit towards a different mask.  

YMMV (your milage may vary) on all this stuff.  I hope this helps.  Someone else may have more targeted feedback than I can give, too.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
As with anything CPAP related, you need to make changes then wait. Unless you live in a very sealed house and have consistent heat/humidity control, make a change and leave it for at least a few nights.

I used to fiddle with mine since we live in a very holey house but I gave up and just put it on auto. I rarely get rainout and the humidification seems good.

As a person with allergies, I have never seen a difference in my AHI on congestion filled nights. Usually the air blows the crap to the side and I sleep great. Then I wake up, take off the mask, and proceed to hack up some lovely stuff. But, hey, I slept great!

If the mask you use is a nasal mask, consider getting a full face mask for congestion times of year. Then retiring/storing it when not needed. It may help.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know as someone with quite a few allergies, it is not unusual for me to go to bed with clear nostrils and wake up with one or both either mostly or completely blocked. I do not see any significant increase in flow limitations due to the blockages until one nostril is completely blocked and the second is noticeably closed. If I was still using a larger pressure range I would see the pressure ramping up which would clear one or both passages.

I switched to a full face mask a while back, even though I am not a mouth breather whilst asleep, as I just end up opening my mouth a bit when congested. Sometimes when I wake my nostrils are clear, other times I am still congested. No rhyme nor reason to it.

I did try nasal pillows for quite a while until I finally gave in to the daemon known as allergies. The FFM for me was a much simpler solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that the nasal pillow type mask is better when you have congestion. With the pillow, you have higher pressure inside your nose and atmospheric pressure outside. This opens up the nose. Other types have equal pressure inside and outside the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Can't get to the bottom of my congestion. Yeliad 3 248 04-16-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 5,087 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,594 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,956 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 406 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Do my sleep lab results show that I have uars? michelbeaini 1 292 02-13-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 609 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.