Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User and Would Appreciate Advice
New User and Would Appreciate Advice
Greetings, 

Thank you all for this website!  I have learned so much just from reading through some posts! I have been using my cpap for over 10 days now.  Attached are my results from the last three nights.  I don't think my numbers are horrible, but they could be better.  I have noticed waking up when the pressure gets really high at night.  I don't know if I should adjust my range of pressure or if my body will naturally get used to the rise in pressure at night.  What do you all think?  Any tips or advice to improve my numbers would be great.  Thank you so much!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User and Would Appreciate Advice
Hi raidersrose2011!  -  Welcome

Your data looks like your events are mainly positional, and the arousals me be caused by the large pressure envelope.  

My recommendations are:
  • If you have the Ramp option, please turn it off.

• Stay off your back and avoid chin tucking.  Chin tucking can have 2 main causes. One is your pillow.  A soft cervical collar (SCC) can help with this.  The second, is having the mask harness too low on the back of the head.  If it is riding on the back of your neck, as you tilt your head upward, the mask will tighten on your face.  Likewise, if you tilt your head down, the tension will relax.  As you sleep, your body will try to compensate for mask tension by tilting your head down.  This can cause the OAs (obstructed airway).  

• Change your pressure settings.  Most adults find a starting (minimum) pressure of 7cm to be more desirable.  This also eliminates the air starvation feeling caused by lower pressures.  I also would suggest that when you set your minimum pressure to 7cm, set the maximum pressure to 10cm.  This will allow for only a 3cm pressure change, and should reduce the pressure induced arousals.

Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your response! I look forward to using those settings tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached is my sleep from the last three night.  Minimum is set at 7 and Max is set at 11.  Should I decrease or increase either of those, especially since my machine seems to be hitting 11? Would increasing my minimum to 8 be bad? Also, what about EPR? Do i need to adjust anything there or is most of my stuff positional apnea?  Basically, I want to do everything possible before I try the cervical collar route as I am still new to all this and don't know what adjustments to make with the machine.  Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
I can’t tell with the charts what your EPR IS SET AT NOW. but I would set EPR to FULL TIME
set EPR 3

Let’s see how that helps stop the increase in pressure and how you feel in the morning.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.  ERP is at 1 right now so I will try 3 tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
Raidersrose, you do not have EPR on because inhale pressure is the same as exhale pressure. If EPR is on, be sure it is set to full-time and not just "ramp". The Resmed machine is very responsive to flow limitations, and that is why your pressure rises to the maximum setting. EPR does treat flow limitations by supporting inspiration. You can see how pressure increases correlate to flow limitation in your chart. With EPR this wild swing in pressure should be resolved.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the help!  Attached are my recent results with the EPR set at full time and at 3.  Do those results look better? I'm not sure how to judge them compared to my other results. Are there any other settings you suggest I tweak that could possibly improve my results before I go the cervical collar route?  Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 54 3,003 05-14-2024, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Newbie In Need of Your Advice mydogatemypap 3 115 05-13-2024, 01:11 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New to CPAP, Looking for Setting Advice Jang Wonyoung 3 233 05-08-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New BiPAP User - Self Treating - Advice Greatly Appreciated MX117 5 208 04-30-2024, 09:35 PM
Last Post: MX117
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 191 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,276 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 508 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.