Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Increase in AHI after starting SSRI
Question 
Increase in AHI after starting SSRI
Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago I started taking an SSRI antidepressant. 
At the time, I had EPR set to 3 Full Time and the pressure was 6-20 (avg=11, 95.5%=14.5). 
On the second or third night, my AHI rose from about 0.5-1.0 each night (it's been this for over 15 years) to an average of about 5.0-6.0 each night since. 
After turning off the EPR, my AHI is now around 1.5-2.0.
Also, and I'm not sure if it's the EPR set to off or the meds or what, but I'm waking up a little light headed each day.

Does anyone know if it is normal to get an increase after starting an SSRI?

Any suggestions for reliving the lightheadedness?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Increase in AHI after starting SSRI
It's fairly common for AHI to rise when on certain medications. Usually it's an increase in clear airway events, and since you turned down the EPR, the CA's lessened.

I doubt EPR has anything to do with lightheadedness. It may be a side affect of the meds. Talk to your doctor if it continues.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2023, 12:44 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It's fairly common for AHI to rise when on certain medications.  Usually it's an increase in clear airway events, and since you turned down the EPR, the CA's lessened.

I doubt EPR has anything to do with lightheadedness.  It may be a side affect of the meds.  Talk to your doctor if it continues.

OpalRose,

Thank you for clarifying that it's fairly common. As for the events, it seems that it is an increase of OA. Do you think you can tell me what might be going on based on my graphs? I know I have a large leak issue, does that look like a mask leak or mouth leak to you?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
It's more than likely mouth leaks/breathing, although there are spikey areas on the graph which signifies mask movement.  

Do you wake with a dry mouth?  Many folk here use mouth tape to help control that.

The first thing to work on is getting the leaking under control.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do wake up with dry mouth on worst of nights. Is there any particular brand of tape. I searched the forum and didn’t see any specific brand names.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never had to use tape. If you don't get any responses here, try starting a thread and specifically ask that question.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 24 997 11 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 153 Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 151 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 113 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 191 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 125 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 158 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.