Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inspiratory flow shapes
Question 
Inspiratory flow shapes
I have a few question.

1) Does CPAP suppose to change your inspiratory flow shape from abnormal to closer to normal? (I included 2 screen shot 1st one is awake, the shape of the flow graph look normal with rounded shape, 2nd screen shot is when I am asleep/having OA it has the ramp up then drop off closer to a class 6 from this table https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...lasses.png)   Please ignore the cheney stoke (I was awake just gone to bathroom then just put the mask back on - I think it was a fault report, it looks super weird and the machine gave 0 pressure)

2) Does AHI below 5 already matter that much? if I came from AHI of 22.  I don't really believe in chasing 0.  I have noticed most of my OA event happens when pressure is less than 8, so I have made the change as of today to my pressure of 8-20 instead of the default 4-20.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inspiratory flow shapes
The dotted red "zero" line is the machine's estimate as to where you switch exhale to inhale. So the initial ramp (below zero) is just you completing exhale, then the flat region is pause between breaths. Breaths look fairly rounded and not really like class 6 that I can see. Shaping of breaths comes from CPAP reducing obstruction by inflating the airway and also EPR / pressure support will tend to shape breaths by ramping up the pressure during the initial phase of inspiration.
Increasing min pressure to some effective theraputic level is sensible - no need to have the machine work it out every time it starts. I agree that chasing 0 is not always feasible, but it mostly comes down to how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inspiratory flow shapes
Thank you very much, I was getting a bit paranoid Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 251 4 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 308 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,610 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.