Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inspire Sleep..is this new?
Inspire Sleep..is this new?
Hi all,

Just heard this on the radio this afternoon for the first time and looked them up on the internet...inspiresleep.com

I'm not much on having stuff implanted but is this something new? Anyone heard of this before? what's your take?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inspire Sleep..is this new?
Hi lmcrep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know enough about that implant, but I wouldn't want it, I'm content with my CPAP machine, and I know what to expect with it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not new. Their device may be but the process is not.

The tongue muscle, throat muscles, etc are voluntary muscles. Meaning we control them ourselves much like we control raising our arm to scratch our nose. When we relax in sleep, just like our arm, those throat and tongue muscles relax. In OSA, when they relax, they fall back too far and block the airway. What implants like these do is stimulate those muscles to, basically, stay awake and maintain their tense-ness during the night. This keeps them from falling back and blocking the airway.

There was a woman who is/was a member here who participated in a study for another device. Halfway through the study, the company closed and she and the other patients were lost in the loop of what to do with the implants. She was, if I remember correctly, mostly pleased with hers but was leery of leaving the device in if no one would be around who knew what to do with it should something go wrong with it. I don't think she came back to tell us what she decided.

Personally I'm leery of anything that is making my body do something it naturally doesn't do. A pacemaker helps the heart maintain its natural rhythm. A vagus nerve stimulator also helps treat epilepsy and even depression. But this is keeping alert muscles that should be resting. What does that do in the long term? What is that constant stimulation doing to the area where the electrode is placed?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am also interested in feedback on this. Looks very interesting. 

C
Post Reply Post Reply
Please don't expect many replies. This thread has been inactive for 6 years.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inspire and CPAP Alternatives and Updates Comfortcomposites 7 927 12-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Inspire Implant : My Journey Malloc 42 15,053 10-24-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Mobility after Inspire Implant Marv8776 3 972 09-13-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Inspire User rbelcastro 8 1,601 09-06-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.