Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting Events Correlated with Small Mask Leaks
Interpreting Events Correlated with Small Mask Leaks

I am including a screenshot of last night's Oscar data because it so clearly illustrates my question.  I have very little mask leak since getting a Memory Foam AirTouch F20.   My question is how do small mask leaks relate to events: hypopneas, obstructive and central apneas, and flow restrictions? Do very small leaks actually precipitate any of these events that you can see on my graphs? Or are the events themselves artifacts, i.e., not real, when they occur very close in time to these small leaks? I am pretty sure these small mask leaks happen when I move from my back to my side or side to back (and last night I was changing position quite a bit), so it is unlikely I can improve on that much, but I'd just like to understand what's going on better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpreting Events Correlated with Small Mask Leaks
I think if we saw similar graphs of individuals that are "normal" or without a diagnosis of apnea, we would see numerous artifacts or events. I have no doubt that the events happen, but the significance of a 10 second pause in breathing, or a fluctuation meeting the definition of a hypopnea, or breath-hold as we change position at night are all easily disregarded, and part of a normal night of sleep. At this level, your sleep disordered breathing is "treated" and while we can more closely examine the events, or make changes to pressure settings, I think it's mostly a waste of time, since the true measure of therapy is how you feel. Your pressure is moving within a 2-cm span, and that's pretty good. Your leaks are brief spikes that appear to be brief seal leaks. You seem to be doing great.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still curious about whether the events that happen right when the little spikes in mask leak happen are true events, or artifacts.  If they are true events, it means that events can be quite sensitive to small fluctuations in mask leak.  Just call me "curious" or "a little nuts."
Post Reply Post Reply
I Re-read SleepRider’s comment and I guess he is answering my question; small momentary changes in mask pressure really can precipitate events, just as a posture such as a tucked chin, can creat obstruction. The night before last I clasped my hands behind my head which pushed my chin down an sho’ ‘nuff got me a obstructive apnea. The point of the CPAP treatment is to assist with the other reasons for airway collapse due to obstruction in the airway itself.  So it is useful to understand that a moderately higher than usual AHI number comprised of rolling over several times precipitating events can safely be ignored, unless I also feel poorly upon awakening, as well. Thanks for your thoughtful comments, SleepRider.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 14 1 hour ago
Last Post: liebano
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 355 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.