Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting Pulse Oximetry Data
RE: Interpreting Pulse Oximetry Data
(08-30-2017, 05:29 PM)Hojo Wrote: Alan:  Pardon me but let me be frank; as long as I didn't miss something, you had your heart attack 2  years ago, a few months after you had an ECHO with an ejection fraction (EF) of 30% and shortly later improved to 45%.  Now, pretty much 2 years later your looking at your pulse ox and seeing some low numbers.  A lot could change in 2 years to your cardiac function.

The oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve is a sigmoid shape curve, wherein small changes in saturation can actually be significant changes in the actual oxygen content in the blood;  Your saturation of 93% compared to 85% is actually a large difference in how much oxygen is circulating in your blood.

If you are seeing your saturation go that low during the day, I would call the cardiologist.

Look at the oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve here;

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i...tion=click

Thanks. During the day my sp02 is a lot more stable. Almost always 95% - 97%, very little movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of people's O2 levels drop somewhat during sleep. Yours are low but not really to the point where it will harm you. At least from what I see on your charts. I have no doubt your suffering from some type of sleep disorder. But it doesn't sound like it's Sleep Apnea. Maybe Acid Reflux is waking you up. It could be a lot of things. Writing down a night by night journal that you could show the Doctors would probably help them narrow it down. Track what you eat, drink, time you wake up, bathroom visits, and symptoms. Wishing you luck in solving the problem.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2017, 05:35 PM)bigalxyz Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 05:29 PM)Hojo Wrote: Alan:  Pardon me but let me be frank; as long as I didn't miss something, you had your heart attack 2  years ago, a few months after you had an ECHO with an ejection fraction (EF) of 30% and shortly later improved to 45%.  Now, pretty much 2 years later your looking at your pulse ox and seeing some low numbers.  A lot could change in 2 years to your cardiac function.

The oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve is a sigmoid shape curve, wherein small changes in saturation can actually be significant changes in the actual oxygen content in the blood;  Your saturation of 93% compared to 85% is actually a large difference in how much oxygen is circulating in your blood.

If you are seeing your saturation go that low during the day, I would call the cardiologist.

Thanks. During the day my sp02 is a lot more stable. Almost always 95% - 97%, very little movement.

Ok, the first part of your saturation example didn't indicate that it was during the night, I thought you were having trouble during the day, which would be a big cause for alarm.

Also, do you ever sleep on your left side, that can cause some arrhythmias.  I know I suffer from arrhythmias while sleeping on my left side and if I do, I don't feel as good for most of the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2017, 06:23 PM)Hojo Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 05:35 PM)bigalxyz Wrote:

Ok, the first part of your saturation example didn't indicate that it was during the night, I thought you were having trouble during the day, which would be a big cause for alarm.

Also, do you ever sleep on your left side, that can cause some arrhythmias.  I know I suffer from arrhythmias while sleeping on my left side and if I do, I don't feel as good for most of the day.

Ah ok - yes, during the day spO2 seems to be ok. Or I suppose I should say "while awake" rather than "during the day" because I do occasionally sleep or doze in the afternoons (invariably waking up feeling horrible!). The first of the two graphs I posted was from the middle of the afternoon when I fell asleep for a short while, for example.

I usually sleep on my right side btw. Strangely, until the age of about 30 I usually slept on my left side, and since then I've preferred sleeping on my right. Odd.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,222 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 100 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 140 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,044 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 774 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.