Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation
Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation
I have been using Phillips Respironics Dreamstation since Sep 2022.
My therapy maintains low AHI (<3) but I feel tired and exhausted after waking up. I guess it is because of the flow limitation (between 0 and 1.7 but in most nights higher than 0.2) and RERA (reaches up to 1.33 on some nights). I attached one night charts which may help.

I looked at Flow Limitation Statistics and RERA and have some questions for the experienced members.

1) How do RERA and FL relate?
2) What is the acceptable RERA number before optimizing therapy, if any?
3) How do FL and RERA affect sleep if the oxygen level is maintained high? Higher than 92% and mostly between 95% and 98% (sing O2 Ring).
4) I am thinking of shifting to Resend Airesence 10. Do Airsense 10 report RERA and FL? or I will be looking for them eyeballing the charts?
5) Finally, are there any indicators other than AHI, FL, and RERA to look at to improve sleep quality?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation
RERAs are a flow limitation in the upper airway that is not significant enough to be classified as a hypopnea and are identified by waxing & waning of breathing. It looks like your pressure range is pretty tight and typically RERAs are solved with more minimum pressure. Have you considered 11cmH20-15cmH20 to give your CPAP more room to solve these events or is there a reason your range is so small?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation
To answer question #4; the Resmed airsense10 autoset reports RERA and flow limitations.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Jojo07 Therapy: Whats going on with my flow rate? jojo07 6 286 Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help understanding data with so much flow limitation melody 10 333 09-23-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: multicast
  Clear Airway / Flow Limitation MikeR20 3 227 09-17-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  managing flow limit issues for a newish user? ja989 2 242 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ja989
  Arousal with no flow limits prior? Stubert 1 218 09-13-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 4 272 09-13-2023, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  High flow limit at beginning of night TiredTom111 3 271 09-12-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.