Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction
RE: Introduction
(10-05-2019, 12:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Based on your profile you are using a Philips Dreamstation with a wide pressure range of 4-15 cm.  Your posts suggest you are continuing to see AHI from 1 to 14 and some notable SpO2 desaturations.  I don't even need to see your data to tell you your minimum pressure is too low, because the Philips Auto is notoriously poor at preventing apnea and hypopenea unless the minimum pressure is optimized.  What Oscar can tell us very quickly is what minimum pressure setting will work, and some other information that may help us to optimize your therapy results.  If you presented to your "Sleep Physiologist" with an AHI of 5.8, why didn't they take some action to improve that?

Hi Sleeprider,

Thanks for your reply.

Although the CPAP machine is set for a range from 4 - 15 cm H2O, it starts at around 9 cm H2O when first switched on. But I back it down to 4 cm H2O when my head hits the pillow. My wife tells me that the pressure ramps up immediately. Thereafter, I have no idea where it settles. All I know is that I sometimes wake up and the mask is leaking. Indeed, the mask has a tendency to move upwards partially uncovering my mouth. I do know that I am more of a mouth-breather. Apparently, I have a narrow nasal airway.

As for your last question, I haven't a clue. I could put the question to my sleep physiotherapist.

spinon
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s good you’ve downloaded Oscar, but the next step is to feed it the data on your machine’s SD card. Once you’ve done that, you can arrange a Daily chart per instructions (see the link in Melman’s signature block). That will enable the experts to give you the best possible advice about your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2019, 03:25 PM)spinon Wrote: Although the CPAP machine is set for a range from 4 - 15 cm H2O, it starts at around 9 cm H2O when first switched on. But I back it down to 4 cm H2O when my head hits the pillow. 

Might check to see if you have the "Opti-Start" option enabled. 

From the manual  "This feature starts a therapy session at a starting pressure that is closer to the previous session’s 90% pressure, in order to reduce the likelihood of any residual events at the beginning of a therapy session."

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member - Introduction cramseur 3 634 02-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: cramseur
  Introduction - Started 09-29-2021 omalley576 9 1,180 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] New forum member introduction and questions Jadazu 7 1,038 05-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Jadazu
  [CPAP] Introduction Knitman 133 7,874 02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Introduction and 1 week in darrenk 7 1,103 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Introduction- and Journey melodyknit0375 74 6,946 12-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Knitman
  Introduction asheq 7 1,007 09-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.