Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Introduction- and Journey
RE: Introduction- and Journey
Yes, that's a good idea. You'll get an idea which are most likely to be shady car sales types and those that sorta aren't. Don't give credit card or bank account numbers, I'm serious as they could decide to "bill you" for what the insurance supposedly didn't. I've had the same DME for almost 2 years, they operate just fine without my cc number.

It's going to sound like I'm just being sarcastic but I'm not when it comes to money. Check into your possible DME list as if they were the car lot. Look for biz ratings. Check your insurance for the in network DMEs. Call or visit. Decide who seems legit enough to earn your biz. You can read our newbie/DME wiki too if you'd like; my signature should link to it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probe them first, DMEs, your last question is If I have a prescription for CPAP will you provide an AutoSet for Her?

Also call your doctor and ask for the Prescription to specify specifically (unless a higher level machine is indicated) a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her w no substitutions. Also a heated hose and mask of choice. That means that the DME MUST leagly provide that machine.

Also before you pick it up, learn how to check the total run hours in the about section of the clinical menu. DMEs have provided "new to you" machines with thousands of hours on them. A new machine should show zero run hours. Therapy hours are easily reset so make sure you look at run hours
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, yeah.  I won't give them any info until I absolutely have to.  In fact I prefer they bill me after the fact.  With a HDHP and an HSA, I have even refused putting deposits down for surgery saying you will get the money you are owed after you submit the claim and my insurance processes it.  I am good for what my portion will be, but you will NOT get any money from me ahead of time.   I do it nicely, (kill them with sugar I say).  I then follow up right away after I get a bill that has been processed by my insurance, and I pay right away.  

Since I am a teacher and I am off tomorrow, I plan on calling several in my area and asking the great questions/tips you guys have given me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found a DME I am comfortable with that will take my insurance in my area (Medical Service Company). The rep on the phone says that if the prescription says CPAP and I am female, I automatically get the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her. They said unless someone is paying cash or not going through insurance they give everyone a brand new machine. I will verify, I have found the YouTube Videos on how to do it. They did not ask me for any information yet, which I found was appropriate and nice, not all the companies I called did that, those that didn't got a very short exit from the phone conversation from me.

I then called my doc and left a message with the company I want to go through (not the one they work with directly, because they have p*** poor reviews). I also in the message said if I am to have a CPAP my insurance will cover the ResMed for Her, so go ahead and directly prescribe that.

At this point, I just hope the paperwork train moves a bit faster.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds promising. I'll suggest keeping the fire under their feet by calling every few days to check on progress. These guys typically forget quickly and drag their feet unless you remind them. When I was waiting on my ASV machine, I called one of the doc/insurance/DME amigos daily.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update-  Apparently all of my paperwork got processed, and forwarded on to the DME.  They (the DME) called me during my plan bell today (lucky lucky!)

I confirmed with all of them that I want the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her "the one with the flowers" and they said they would make a note of that on my file, but that it shouldn't be a problem.  I forgot at the time to ask about the heated tube, but I called after-school and they confirmed it would come with a heated tube.   I also made sure that they will bring the entire box for me and open it in front of me, because I want to make sure it is a new machine.  I am a bit of a germophobe anyway so I passed it off as that.  No problem there. I asked about masks, and they said that they have several to try and there is a 30-day return/exchange on any that I get. I told them I already have the ResMed P10, and they said that they recommend I get a different style to try (i.e. nasal or full face vs. a different pillow style) but we can look at that on Thursday. The best part- they could get me in on Thursday after-school because the insurance has approved it all already.  Treatment will start soon so I'm excited.  

So next bank of questions.  And if after this I need a new thread let me know, but I can stick with the same thread, doesn't matter to me.

1.  Which style of mask should I get? Should I get a nasal or full face (unsure of this one) to try, or a different model of nasal pillow? I am primarily a side sleeper (about 60%) but also spend a good amount of time on my back (about 20-25%).

2.  How long should I give the default settings they give me?  A week?  Two?  I don't expect miracles right away, and I know there will be a learning curve but I also don't want to sit on terrible treatment.  Complicating factor here is the amount of travel I will be doing between now and the end of February.  I will be at a convention late next week and then to Orlando in the middle of February.  Due to my schedule in the evenings and this weekend I hope to upload some Oscar Data on Sunday. That would be the first three days.

3.  Setup.  Is it better to have the machine level or below your sleeping level?  On my nightstand I have the option that I can put it on top and its pretty much level with my bed, or on a shelf below (its open so passing tubes/cords is not an issue) I also realize this might be a bit of personal preference trial and error as well. 

4.   Pets.  I have a rather adventurous cat who is a little more than a year old. I am sure it will be a learning curve for him as well. Do you have any tips for cpap and pets?  

I think that is all for now.  Your help and guidance has been much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Mask Primer - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer It is not a bad idea to start with a couple different types of masks.  The best mask is the one that works for you.

Download OSCAR, let us make you more informed for your meetings with your medical team.  As you know most here manage their own therapy.  That is your choice and we will help you either way.  After your first night is not a bad idea for a review.  Make it a point to state how you feel and ANY issues you are having.   The question How ya doin'? is not a greeting but a serious request for serious info to help with your therapy.

Cats,  get a hose cozie to protect your tubing.  Its purpose is to prevent condensation from forming in the hose, the same as the heated hose, but it protects somewhat from the cats claws.

Position: a matter of preference, you will likely need some form of hose management to keep the weight of the hose from pulling on your mask causing leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask type:
Do you have any evidence that your nose becomes blocked and that you are a mouth-breather?
If so a full face mask may be your best option. I need one.

How long to wait:
It doesn't hurt to upload your results sooner rather than later

Machine height:
From reading other posts, the issue is more the trajectory of the hose in order to control rain-out condensation if or when you turn up the humidifer.
Keeping the machine away from dust or pollen or other allergen sources is always a good idea

Cats:
Here's a cute thread on that
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...light=cats
Post Reply Post Reply
Aww. That cat thread is cute. I suppose we will have to see how he reacts, as he usually likes to curl up right by my head on my right side and there might be tubing going through there. Might pick up the hose cozy just to hedge my bets.

I will do my best to upload some data on Friday, but Friday is pretty crazy busy for me. I already have OSCAR downloaded and ready to go, so that isn't a hurdle.

I don't have any evidence I am a mouth breather, except when really congested (and the linked page Bonjour gave had some tips on that). I suppose I am interested in styles that have the tube connection on top but I also wear an eye cover, so i'm concerned about restricting that airflow. Just looking through the online retailers and reviews the ResMed Airfit N30 intrigues me because I was really sore with the p10 after my trial last Thursday evening, so I don't know if Nasal Pillows will be for me 100%, or if I wasn't fit exactly right (I wore the medium) . They let me keep the P10 so I will probably take it with me to my setup appointment on Thursday and see what they think. It is a shame the headgear isn't interchangeable between the two.

You guys have been awesome so far. If I don't upload on Friday, I for sure will upload the first two nights on Saturday.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the off-chance that this will be useful:  the pillow mask I’m using has a short hose that can be routed through a Velcro loop on the strap at the top of the head. If you’re at all interested, I can tell you the various pluses and minuses of the Aloha for me, but (again, for me) the bottom line is that I prefer this to the P10, which I thought was the mask I would always want to use.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,341 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,202 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,398 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 803 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.