Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is 93% a normal Spo2 while sleeping?
Is 93% a normal Spo2 while sleeping?
I wear a lookee ring oximeter which is very accurate (ran test on other family members while they slept and Spo2 remained around 96-98% throughout the night)

While I sleep, my Spo2 level drops down to 93% regardless of how high I set the EPAP for oxygenation. I tested this out and set my Resmed ASV device to 15 EPAP and my oxygen evels still dropped to 93. Isn't EPAP supposed to increase oxygenation? Is 93% considered normal or that's too low?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is 93% a normal Spo2 while sleeping?
While not dangerously low, it's something I'd ask your doc about to identify what's lowering it. This past July, I had pneumonia and oxy was at 92%; they gave me oxy via cannula at 2L/min overnight in hospital setting.

Yes the machine could influence oxygen sat levels, how to manipulate it via controls I don't know yet.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 04:34 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: While not dangerously low, it's something I'd ask your doc about to identify what's lowering it. This past July, I had pneumonia and oxy was at 92%; they gave me oxy via cannula at 2L/min overnight in hospital setting.

Yes the machine could influence oxygen sat levels, how to manipulate it via controls I don't know yet.

I forgot to add that my baseline O2 levels was at about a 97%. Any idea of what can potentially be causing my levels to drop even with a hug EPAP? The asv doesn't give me the tidal volume that I feel like I need because it's based on minute vent of my own breathing and I feel like this could e a reason why my levels may be dropping. Just an opinion of course
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok Michael,  97% baseline Oxygen when?  If at night we need to dig out what is happening.

93-94% while sleeping I believe is normal,  going with an 96-98% daytime.  Things slow down at night while sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd agree with bonjour.

One clarification that I would like to make on my post above which would shine a different light is that my 92% oxy level was that I was awake. My belief is healthy waking oxy should be mid 90's and up.

And I'm not putting out a comparison of you to me, just placing an example of varying oxy levels of wake vs sleep and whether the percent is OK or not.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 04:52 PM)bonjour Wrote: Ok Michael,  97% baseline Oxygen when?  If at night we need to dig out what is happening.

93-94% while sleeping I believe is normal,  going with an 96-98% daytime.  Things slow down at night while sleeping.

My oxygen level while I'm awake daytime and nighttime is around 96-98% and it dips to about 93% while I'm asleep. Sorry for not providing clarification in my initial post.

I measured my fiance and my son's level while awake and asleep and they both stayed at around 96-99% whether awake or asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Goes to show you that each of us is different. You can always discuss that with your pulmonologist or sleep doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 05:09 PM)Michaely6 Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 04:52 PM)bonjour Wrote: Ok Michael,  97% baseline Oxygen when?  If at night we need to dig out what is happening.

My oxygen level while I'm awake daytime and nighttime is around 96-98% and it dips to about 93% while I'm asleep. Sorry for not providing clarification in my initial post.

I measured my fiance and my son's level while awake and asleep and they both stayed at around 96-99% whether awake or asleep.

I'm 48yo and my daytime runs 93-95% usually. No higher. But I've had two DVT and PE's. (blood clots in lungs). This has apparently affected my overall oxygenation. At night I run 92-94%. But a short 10-20sec CA will cause it to drop to 85% or below. My pulmonologist ran test and I had echo stress, etc. They didn't see any concern. But it still concerns me and affects me when I go down to 85% and wake up with heart pounding and chest feeling weak.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
93% is absolutely nothing to worry about while sleeping. It's normal for saturation to decrease maybe 1-3% while sleeping, since we all breathe a bit more shallow and during some parts of sleep the breathing muscles are a bit more relaxed than compared to awake. In terms of benefit I doubt there is any difference at all between 93% and 96%.

I would not play around with EPAP in that fashion unless required to control obstructive apnea. High EPAP can cause low blood pressure and low heart rate because it has an effect on cardiac output.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 04:42 PM)Michaely6 Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 04:34 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: ... Yes the machine could influence oxygen sat levels, how to manipulate it via controls I don't know yet.

I forgot to add that my baseline O2 levels was at about a 97%. Any idea of what can potentially be causing my levels to drop even with a huge EPAP? The asv doesn't give me the tidal volume that I feel like I need because it's based on minute vent of my own breathing and I feel like this could be a reason why my levels may be dropping. Just an opinion of course

Hi Michaely6

On bilevel machines it is the difference between EPAP and IPAP (Pressure Support, PS) which can do for us some or all of the work of breathing. So, instead of increasing the minimum EPAP, increasing the minimum PS would likely help raise the amount of air you are breathing when sleeping deeply.

I suggest using at least 2 for Min PS (I prefer 5), and for Max PS at least 8 (I prefer 10, which is quite a bit lower than the machine’s default of 15). 

Higher SpO2 is not always a good thing.  Especially, people who are taking supplemental O2 should be careful not to take more O2 than prescribed/needed.

I suggest SpO2 in the range 94% to 96% while sleeping would be great for most people. However, I think some patients with COPD or other lung conditions may do better with a lower range, like 89% to 91%, and SpO2 too high could be dangerous for them.

Take care,
—Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 212 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 421 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 209 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.