Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is CPAP effective if you're congested?
RE: Is CPAP effective if you're congested?
(03-29-2019, 04:48 AM)StevesSp Wrote: Whatever the reason, while i am usually unable to breathe through my nose when I go to sleep, I frequently wake up later, breathing through a miraculously clear nose. Bonus!

It's likely the positive pressure being applied. It clears the passageways.

In my pre-CPAP days I had sinus surgery. I was a mouth-breather within minutes of lying down. I figure it's because the blood pressure in the nose is higher when the body is in a horizontal position. When you stand up the pressure is lowered because now your nose is about 10 cm higher than your heart. A typical CPAP pressure is on the order of 10 cm, so it could be enough to clear out the passageways in the nose.

Quote:Also, have you tried a Neti pot? I find it to help, although the effect only last for a few hours. The theory is that the warm saline flushes allergens/irritants out of the nasal passages, along with any dried mucous. I honestly don't know if those claims are true, but it helps me and there appears to be no significant downside.

When you blow your nose you remove gunk that clogs the passageways. A neti pot, or better yet the NeilMed sinus rinse kit, does the same thing, only better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have chronic congestion which CPAP therapy relieves. I started out with a full face mask which, among other problems, made me feel as if I wasn't able to get enough air. Nasal pillow masks open my sinus within a few minutes of starting the machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have chronic congestion, but recently been dealing with a cold with congestion - and I noticed that my AHI is higher while dealing with the congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2019, 11:16 PM)ruach Wrote: I don't have chronic congestion, but recently been dealing with a cold with congestion - and I noticed that my AHI is higher while dealing with the congestion.

This is a situation where I would experiment with a heated hose. You have your own private supply of humidified air. No need to use one of those humidifiers that humidify the whole bedroom.

Unfortunately, a heated hose raises my AHI by increasing my CA's.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 648 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Therapy less effective for no obvious reason Chalkie 2 398 08-09-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  [Treatment] Is my therapy effective? Maikele 1 361 04-07-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing? chris94546 4 612 03-16-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: chris94546
  Trying to determine lowest effective ASV settings Utah Desert Rat 25 2,051 08-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Why Won't a Pressure Range of 4-20 on APAP Be Effective? upsman 9 3,356 08-21-2021, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  [Treatment] Are pillows more effective for treating apnea’s than FFM’s. Rcgop 9 2,181 07-01-2021, 02:30 PM
Last Post: tierdal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.