Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is SoClean2 an effective sanitizer ?
RE: Is SoClean2 an effective sanitizer ?
No, it is not a safe and effective cleaner. I am a registered nurse with many years of ICU & ER experience. You need to use a bacterial soap with a weak bleach solution to effectively rid your mask, tubing, and machine of pathogenic(disease producing) bacteria and viruses. It is the only safe way of sanitizing your equipment.
 Please, do not thisk that by using O3 or O2 will kill the germs that CAN MAKE YOU SICK!
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that SoClean is not an effective cleaner but caution against using bleach or antibacterial soap. Here is an excerpt from a Resmed instruction manual:
"Do not use bleach, chlorine, alcohol, or aromatic-based solutions, moisturising or antibacterial soaps or scented oils to clean the device, the water tub or air tubing. These solutions may cause damage or affect the humidifier performance and reduce the life of the products."
They recommend using a mild detergent. Cleaning with a mild detergent will sufficiently sanitize the equipment in most cases. If evidence of microbial growth is seen, thorough cleaning with mild detergent followed by a treatment with a mild sanitizing agent like hydrogen peroxide should be sufficient. As a former medical and industrial microbiologist I can assure you that 1) there is little risk that pathogens will be present in your equipment since it is only exposed to room air and your normal flora and 2) that cleaning with mild detergent will reduce the numbers of any microorganisms present to a safe level.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a microbiologist. The bacteria on your mask are all part of your normal bacterial flora and will not hurt you. I use a cpap and clean it once every 4-6 weeks or if there is obvious gunk. Even if you are sick, any pathogens which find their way to your mask still came from you and your immune system has already recognized and is responding to them.
There is absolutely no need for any disinfectants - over time they will simply degrade the rubber in your mask and then you will need to replace it. For the last 4 years I've been alternating 2 masks - only when I clean them, and neither is showing any sign of deterioration.
Respiratory therapists, nurses and even most doctors are all part of a pattern of general paranoia about bacteria which is fanned by company representatives such as the ones who sell the SoClean2.
Don't waste your money.
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally would not be so infrequent with the cleaning of P10 masks. Resmed has a prescribed cleaning period with their mask. I believe they recommend weekly cleaning of the headgear component, and less frequently with the pillows component.

There is a long, well documented thread on this forum that discusses the potential harm that can result when the tiny holes in the P19 mask become blocked. Other masks may not be as vulnerable as the P10. ???
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me preface this by making VERY clear that I am not advocating purchasing a SoClean. I know that the consensus on these boards is against it and had I read them before purchasing, I wouldn't have. Also, as has been stated very clearly, is NOT a cleaner, but a sanitizer.

This is my experience with the SoClean. I do use it every day. I got it mainly because I was concerned about the humidifier because of my experience with ickiness in cool vapor humidifiers when children were young. I occasionally wash my humidifier tub in warm/hot soapy water. I used to wash my mask slightly more often and used a CPAP wipe between washings. I now used the Bleep, so I wash the interface when it looks like it needs it.

My humidifier tub, while using the SoClean, has always been spotless. The first time I traveled with my CPAP, I woke up after the second night and decided to wash the humidifier tub, since I had no SoClean. Imagine my horror when I discovered a slimy bottom and a growth inside...after 2 nights! And yes, I was using distilled water! I scrubbed that puppy out every morning for the rest of trip! So for me, anecdotal evidence shows that the SoClean does do SOMETHING. And I am still using it. That being said, will I buy another if it goes kaput? Eh, I don't know. It's a lot of money, it is controversial, and I know a lot more now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't imagine what got into your humidifier tub but it certainly didn't come from your mask. When in operation there is a constant flow of air FROM the humidifier TO the mask and it's more than 6 feet. Bacteria can't fly.
If you got this growth after 2 days, I would suggest that the most likely cause was some sort of residue left behind in the previous cleaning.
If you have the filters in place and use distilled water there shouldn't be anything in the humidifier tub and it should rarely need cleaning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2019, 07:30 PM)Snoring Bear Wrote: I personally would not be so infrequent with the cleaning of P10 masks.  Resmed has a prescribed cleaning period with their mask.  I believe they recommend weekly cleaning of the headgear component, and less frequently with the pillows component.

The manufacturer will always err on the side of caution for liability reasons, so if Resmed says a week, then you can go a lot longer unless you have a compromised immune system.
Post Reply Post Reply
I empty my water reservoir each & every morning. I'm now using tap water and have been for several months now. Only once has the reservoir run out of water during the night. There was a slight dried residue left behind. A little white vinegar took care of that. 

As already mentioned, the reservoir gets emptied and then wiped dry with some tissue paper every morning. It looks as good as the first night of use. I have two extras on hand, but don't anticipate the need to use them for some time to come. I'm thinking the reservoir should last for a few years, at least. 

I also have two extra new ResMed ClimateLine heated hoses on hand, and feel they should last a couple of years, before needing to be scrapped. I alternate between the AirFit F20 & AirFit F30 FFM. I have two of each. I have a bag of about 10 air filters that will last me many years. 

I'm now used to washing my CPAP equipment by hand. Granted, I'm not doing it nearly as often as I used to when I first started this SA treatment. Listening to other members on here convinced me it wasn't really necessary. I do use anti-bacterial wipes almost (sort of) daily on the mask / cushion and the hose elbow. 

I feel very confident that my equipment is as clean as it should be.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a number of environmental bacteria that grow well in distilled water and will create a slimy, sometimes colored, bio-film in the humidifier. Some of them are probably present in the distilled water. (Grocery store and big box store distilled water is not sterile.) The filters used on our machines may remove some airborne bacteria but not all. Any time the tub is opened or handled it is exposed to airborne bacteria. Even cleaning and rinsing introduces waterborne environmental bacteria. So I'm not surprised at the occurrence of slimy growth in a humidifier. It is something I dealt with a lot in industrial purified water systems that had much more protection from microbial exposure than CPAP equipment. I'm surprised that it developed in only two days but it's far from impossible.

I'm not advocating the use of SoClean. In my opinion regular cleaning with mild detergent is generally adequate. When I occasionally see slime or small colonies of mold I follow the detergent cleaning with a treatment with drugstore hydrogen peroxide.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 10:11 AM)douganderson Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 07:30 PM)Snoring Bear Wrote: I personally would not be so infrequent with the cleaning of P10 masks.  Resmed has a prescribed cleaning period with their mask.  I believe they recommend weekly cleaning of the headgear component, and less frequently with the pillows component.

The manufacturer will always err on the side of caution for liability reasons, so if Resmed says a week, then you can go a lot longer unless you have a compromised immune system.

Well for those with P10 masks, it might be worth taking a look at the following thread. I'm not that busy that I can't clean my P10 at least once a week. The reality is I probably clean it twice a week using a soft toothbrush and shooting water through the holes (headgear).

I'd personally rather be proactive to ensure my vents don't get clogged by spending a couple minutes cleaning my mask.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...YPERCAPNIA
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going in Circles; CPAP doesn't seem effective; ENT? RainyDog 4 80 8 hours ago
Last Post: RainyDog
  Therapy less effective for no obvious reason Chalkie 2 438 08-09-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  [Treatment] Is my therapy effective? Maikele 1 378 04-07-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing? chris94546 4 640 03-16-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: chris94546
  Post COVID Sanitizer B1Sailor 3 610 02-15-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Ozone smell & mask yellowing with SoClean2 pozowich 62 20,925 09-05-2021, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  Trying to determine lowest effective ASV settings Utah Desert Rat 25 2,105 08-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.