Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my machine intuitive
Is my machine intuitive
Does anyone know Is the machine I'm using intuitive as to my usage. Is it learning my breathing and usage patterns. 

Seeing a lot about these machines adjusting for patient use. Also seen comments about PR BiFlex making adjustments.

The reason I'm asking is that if this is occurring then adjustments I make may take some time to be in full effect. 

The machine would need to make adjustments to my adjustments.

Just curious.

Thanks
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my machine intuitive
If I could, I’d give you a definite YES or NO. I do believe that my ResMed ASV acts like it’s learning, but I’m really not certain whether it’s actually possible.

Sorry this sounds so much like a politician answering this, but that’s Dave for you. Says lots and yet says nothing at the same time.

Regardless, wishing y’all a wonderful holiday weekend.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe it's just the old logic form of, "This?"  "Yes," or "No."  If 'yes," then "A."  If "No," then "B."  And so on... 

The machine has sensors, and programming to 'interpret' what the sensors encounter or perceive.  The programming makes the machine do A or B, depending on the answer to the question, "Is the sensor reading [hypopnea, obstructive, or central?", but I think the information depends on how it reads the sensed flow limitations...their pattern, duration and frequency.

It isn't yet reasonable, in my view, to characterize this type of machine learning as 'intuitive' so much as 'iterative'.  Intuitive, if it ever comes, will be resident in AI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2019, 04:39 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I believe it's just the old logic form of, "This?"  "Yes," or "No."  If 'yes," then "A."  If "No," then "B."  And so on... 

The machine has sensors, and programming to 'interpret' what the sensors encounter or perceive.  The programming makes the machine do A or B, depending on the answer to the question, "Is the sensor reading [hypopnea, obstructive, or central?", but I think the information depends on how it reads the sensed flow limitations...their pattern, duration and frequency.

It isn't yet reasonable, in my view, to characterize this type of machine learning as 'intuitive' so much as 'iterative'.  Intuitive, if it ever comes, will be resident in AI.

Correct. Intuitive wasn't the best choice of words. Auto-correcting maybe? 

I'm seeing where other machines are being set up with a wider range of settings (pressures) to allow them to perform the job of eliminating OA's for instance. The machine reacts to known parameters by applying a pre-set routine, like a puff of air to counter a OA. 

Looks like they also apply pressures that work best at eliminating apnea.

I wondered if my machine is capable of that?

I have no settings that relate to something like Auto anything.

Other than a setting "BiFlex", which, I have turned on.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2019, 04:39 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I believe it's just the old logic form of, "This?"  "Yes," or "No."  If 'yes," then "A."  If "No," then "B."  And so on... 

Exactly, but does my machine incorporate "Machine Logic" into its capabilities. Or, is it capable if set up to preform in that manner?

If I read the PR literature it touts its BiFlex Technology as being the cats meow for making it easier for the patient to eliminate apnea events.

This is from the PR website:

Auto-Adjusting

[Image: auto-graph.png?1513712212]
  • Auto-adjusting provides a variable pressure throughout the night based on the patient needs and sleep stage.
  • The device will adjust pressure based on airway size and airflow.
Says it adjusts to needs and "Sleep Stage". I don't see anything like this on my machine.

Is my machine capable of doing this and the functionality is not installed..?

Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I am afraid I have no idea what your machine is capable of from its name it seems it is a special machine for treating COPD and other associated Respiratory issues. It seems to be a fixed pressure BiLevel machine where you would set the IPAP (Inhale Pressure) EPAP (Exhale Pressure) and if using ST mode the Backup Breath rate. This machine cannot change pressures to an algorithm so is not intuitive as you described it in your Subject line.

I might have missed it but what medical conditions do you have to require this type of machine ?
Post Reply Post Reply
No. Your machine not only has not automatic mode or intelligence, but it is setup to provide narrow pressure support. If your perception of the therapy changes, it is your adaptation, not the machine's.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2019, 11:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: No. Your machine not only has not automatic mode or intelligence, but it is setup to provide narrow pressure support.  If your perception of the therapy changes, it is your adaptation, not the machine's.

Yea, I'm figuring that out. All the pictures for this machine show the same machine, but there are like CPAP, Auto BiPAP, AVAPS, Auto this and that, etc. Looks like they use the same machine for several models.

My thinking is they use the same machine just program them to the prescription ordered or money shelled out. 

A couple of these models do show learning the patients sleep patterns and adjusting setting to accommodate. 

This machine, if you coughed up some extra cash, could like be re-programed to be any one of several models. 

Firmware update..?

Either that or they put in all the features, turn off all except the BiPAP S/T modes and sell it as a BiPAP S/T machine.

Oh well. I would have like to put it on Auto and see what it could do by itself... Dielaughing 

PS, Any word about when a newer OSCAR may be coming out that would work with my machine? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2019, 10:31 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: I am afraid I have no idea what your machine is capable of from its name it seems it is a special machine for treating COPD and other associated Respiratory issues. It seems to be a fixed pressure BiLevel machine where you would set the IPAP (Inhale Pressure) EPAP (Exhale Pressure) and if using ST mode the Backup Breath rate. This machine cannot change pressures to an algorithm so is not intuitive as you described it in your Subject line.

I might have missed it but what medical conditions do you have to require this type of machine ?

Severe Sleep Apnea. I started out at 26/22, but have changed settings over time and am now at 23/20.5. 

Seems like as long as the EPAP pressure (20+) keeps my airway open, I'm golden.

Had a great many stop breathing events where I would exhale and not breath again for a long time. A lot of snoring...

Seems like it's basically going to give me IPAP and EPAP and that's about it. Does have 3 manual FLEX capabilities when in BiFlex Mode. The CPAP and S/T modes don't apply to my needs.

It has changed my life for the better, that's for sure. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The ST is basically a non-automatic bilevel positive pressure machine with a timed backup to trigger IPAP. This is the most rudimentary of the advanced bilevels with fixed EPAP and IPAP and a timer for backup. Compare to the ASV or Auto SV which provides automatic adjustment of EPAP and adaptive IPAP that can range from zero to the capacity of the machine to provide pressure support when needed, as needed. Auto BiPAP has no backup rate to switch to IPAP, but it can automatically adjust EPAP for obstruction, and in the case of Respironics can also adjust pressure support within a set range. BiFlex is simply a program that affects how fast pressure rises when IPAP is triggered, and reduces pressure for ahead of exhale to make the transition smoother, The Respironics BiPAP ST has a square-wave appearing pressure difference between IPAP and EPAP. BiFlex rounds out those square waves to a more rounded sine wave.

All we can ask for is to get effective comfortable therapy from these devices, and you seem to have found what works for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,032 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,882 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,350 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,804 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
Question [CPAP] Counter intuitive Data Alan Speed 7 1,504 11-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Alan Speed
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,295 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.