Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is the brain damage produced by Sleep Apnea over the years permanent?
Is the brain damage produced by Sleep Apnea over the years permanent?
I have been on CPAP for three weeks now after being diagnosed of severe sleep apnea (AHI - 54).

My AHI is consistently showing up as within the 0.6 - 2.1 range.

Before being diagnosed, I have had a debilitating brain fog for as long as I can remember, which felt like I am mentally handicapped.

I feel like a zombie devoid of emotions.

However, three days ago, I had lots of energy which I haven't had in ages and my brain fog symptoms were reduced as well.

There haven't been such feelings yesterday and today, so I am guessing there could be some permanent damage to my brain.

If anybody has had debilitating brain fog symptoms prior to starting CPAP theraphy, how long did it take to go away and did it go away completely?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is the brain damage produced by Sleep Apnea over the years permanent?
After 23 years of PAP therapy, I can assure you, I still had birthdays, developed gray hair and have not gotten a lot smarter. On the other hand, I'm still kicking and some people think I have a sense of humor; at least those that did not conclude I'm a flaming a%%h(l. Your life will be better with the therapy. Keep expectations in check and understand you are solving a problem, not being re-born.

Your AHI is great, and better than what the "profession" targets. You will heal and the fog will lift, but it can be subtle.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my experience after fifty weeks of PAP therapy.  I feel better.  I think better, I think Wink.  I liken it to regular exercise and yoga.  I maintain and somewhat increase my strength and flexibility.  At seventy-three that is a victory.  I’m not going to regain the body of my youth, but my health span may be increased.  Best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
It will get better, things do recover. In a few weeks? No it does take a bit longer. However, every day you use PAP the closer you are to getting back to normal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am so glad i read this post. I am waiting for my mind to come back a little more. But sleep is GREAT!!!! And I really need to move around and exercise more but that's not what this forum is about. These folks are GREAT SLEEP MASTER'S the way i see it.
Hang in there. I'm a 4 week users so far so we can talk and compare if ya like. But we can learn together.

booger
Post Reply Post Reply
It's great news that you had a good day during your early experience with PAP. This gives you a preview of what will happen over time as you continue. It may take a while, and progress may be gradual and subtle, or it may come in fits and starts. But you'll get there. And don't ever worry about the occasional bad night or bad day. That's just part of life for virtually everyone.

Not everyone has the good experience you've already had this early, so you're off to a very good start!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2021, 09:35 AM)Booger68 Wrote: I am so glad i read this post. I am waiting for my mind to come back a little more. But sleep is GREAT!!!! And I really need to move around and exercise more but that's not what this forum is about. These folks are GREAT SLEEP MASTER'S the way i see it.
Hang in there. I'm a 4 week users so far so we can talk and compare if ya like. But we can learn together.

booger

We started CPAP therapy at a very similar time, so it'd be great to cpmpare notes and learn.

Have you noticed any improvement to your brain function since you started the therapy and do you still feel tired?

(03-22-2021, 11:51 AM)Dormeo Wrote: It's great news that you had a good day during your early experience with PAP.  This gives you a preview of what will happen over time as you continue.  It may take a while, and progress may be gradual and subtle, or it may come in fits and starts.  But you'll get there.  And don't ever worry about the occasional bad night or bad day.  That's just part of life for virtually everyone.

Not everyone has the good experience you've already had this early, so you're off to a very good start!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I am really hoping and praying that my fog and fatigue gets better soon.

I am getting a minimum of 8 hours CPAP usage every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Planetf1,
Yes there is brainfog sometimes when I'm trying to go through procedures at work. I operate a toilet paper machine. Some of the procedures are multiple pages of valves on a dcs or closer to computer screen. I just go slower and take my time. I havent screwed up anything major yet ??? yet.
Sometimes i just dont wanna do much at home. But that could be from the swing shift i work also. It's a 12hr nights and days. look up dupont schedule. But the time off is a GREAT TRADEOFF.
For the most part I'm feeling way more rested. I can sleep sometimes 9 or 10 hrs. I havent done this in a few years. It would be nice if i would get off my rear end and move around more i hope this is coming. I think it will based on the way i feel.
I do have high blood pressure managed. I still sometimes snap over silly sh#t i have no control over but since the cpap it seems to have gotten a little better.
How are you feeling when you do sleep good?
What are you meaning by brain fog? Complex tasks or just generally feeling still tired?
We can pm it looks like if you would like. But we would get alot of other responses in the open forum.

Booger
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if there's a lasting reduction in cognitive abilities due to sleep apnea. But I do know there is a reduction due to aging. We are a lot older now than we were when we first started experiencing sleep apnea, so we won't be able to recover all that we've lost. The good news is that you will experience a huge improvement as long as you continue to use your CPAP machine. That's all that really matters.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My journey has been a little wild and unique. I was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea about 3 1/2 years ago. Currently 47 years old, almost 48.  I had weird sleep problems all through my treatment with either falling asleep or staying asleep. Odd pain in my hands and feet, almost like restless leg syndrome. I was pretty active but didn't have the best diet. Probably about 25 lbs overweight. I saw some improvement with brain fog but not complete.

Last year was full of stress. A couple of days before Thanksgiving, I had an mild ischemic stroke. 98% recovered from that thankfully. Cause of the stroke is still unknown but currently getting tested for afib. Been about 16 years since I've smoked. My cholesterol was a little high overall. Bad cholesterol was high and good cholesterol low. If I don't have afib, then my PCP said he's chalk it up to bad luck.

Since my stroke, I've addressed other issues that still needed to be addressed. Lost 20 lbs, eating better, exercising more, controlling stress and anxiety better. Doing all that is helping the brain fog go away even more. Still not where I was years before developing sleep apnea but better than I've been in a long time. Oddly enough the pain in my hands and feet didn't come back after the stroke.

From my experience, I'd recommend taking a "wholistic" approach. Look at your lifestyle as a whole and see if there are other changes that can be made to help improve both physical and mental energy.

Not to be scary but sleep apnea increases the chance of developing afib. Afib increases the risk of a stroke. Not really sure how much having sleep apnea contributed to my stroke.Having had a stroke, I don't recommend them! I'm doing what I can to mitigate the risk factors I have because I don't want another one! I might not be so lucky should another one happen.

PSA: Get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked. They can be slightly killers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 348 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.