Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a “best” CPAP delivery [between mask types??]
Is there a “best” CPAP delivery [between mask types??]
just curious if one (FFM/pillows/nasal mask). 
If one of those delivers more air than another?
I used the simplus F&P FFM. And do really well on it. No issues sleeping. Noticed I’m congested now, maybe a coincidence 

Anyway, 3 nites in a row. Leak rate was over 10... I could hear the “wind” and no readjusting fixed. It bugged me. 
Just personally.  I like to be as close to <4L for leak
So I tried my friends nasal pillows again, figuring I’ve been on FFM long enough I may sleep with mouth closed. 
Nite 1 was hard to breath into the pillows, I eventually relaxed enough to make it tolerable or have to gasp for air
I noticed and so did the GF. Was a lot louder.. could hear my breathing? (I suspect it was too soon after sexcersize... so was still winded requiring more air...TBH)
This was with small pillows
Leak was 10L

Last nite I used mediums and felt like the fit was way better.. maybe even quieter breathing
Leak was 5L. Only slept for 3.5hr tho.

Did I read somewhere leak numbers be in accurate if you end up breathing some times thru mouth with pillows? 

Thru my bit of research this am... pretty sure  my EPR is on, I’ll double check the setting 

I also need to figure out my nasal congestion. I HAVE to take a nasal spray or I Legit feel like I’m hyperventilating.  
Might buy a saline mist Vs this medicated addicting one. Or the nettle rinse. But when I eat I struggle to breathe. 
Humidity set to 3. I tried 5 was still congested and the face mask had moisture. 

Phats
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a “best” CPAP delivery [between mask types??]
Not sure why you want to keep leaks that low. It isn't necessary. The machine can compensate for unintentional leaks up to a certain amount (I think 24L).

The difference between mask types only matters in comfort level and purpose. They all delivery the required pressure, the only difference being HOW.

FFMs have more room in there so the air flow into the nostrils is kinda buffered, for lack of another word. I have found they do not help with congestion as well as nasal pillows do.

Nasal Masks are similar but there's less space so the air pressure is felt more. Yes, it is the same air pressure but you notice it more.

Nasal Pillows deliver the air directly into the nostrils. You can't help but notice it (until you get used to it).

These points also mean exhale can be different between masks. I found my exhale to be much easier with the FFM (Simplus) than with my pillows (Nuance).

I suggest you check and adjust the EPR until you get used to exhaling with the pillows.

And congrats on such a low leak rate with the Simplus! Wish I could have gotten that!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 119 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 124 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 261 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 827 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 364 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.