Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a way to get AHI without CPAP?
Is there a way to get AHI without CPAP?
Ive been using my CPAP for years, i had Sinus surgery in March of last year and my dr said i may not need CPAP anymore, maybe could get an oral device from dentist. However my sleep dr wont do a new sleep study.... is there any way to look at the data from my current machine and determine if my Apnea is still Severe? or possibly its mild now that ive had sinus surgery and it would make sense to get an oral device..?

im tried all the time even when i use the machine, but my biggest problem is the mask comes off. im a stomach sleeper and toss an turn so its hard to keep the mask on or keep from getting tangled in the tube. Id much rather have an oral device, but only if its going to help

I have sleepyhead software but have no idea how to interpret if the data is there about how severe my apnea is

Thank you for your help
Jeremy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a way to get AHI without CPAP?
Jeremy, download the free #Sleepyhead software. It will read your machine data using a SD card, and can tell you and us in great detail what is going on. Many new members arrive here with unsatisfactory CPAP experiences, and we are able to either optimize their therapy, or redirect them to something that will work better. Simply put, we can and will tell you what your doctor won't.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I downloaded it and imported my data. Is this what you wanted? see PDF

Attached Files
.pdf   Untitled.pdf (Size: 667.4 KB / Downloads: 38)
Post Reply Post Reply
or this one

Attached Files
.pdf   Untitled1.pdf (Size: 71.55 KB / Downloads: 64)
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are asking:

Can I use my CPAP machine to determine my AHI without the CPAP assist?

I'm not sure if any CPAP can do that, you'd have to turn off the air pressure and I think they all have a minimum pressure. Maybe, if you set it to the lowest pressure level, you can get a reasonable idea.

If your doc won't refer you to a sleep lab, not sure why not, you might look into a home apnea test and see if you can get the data you want that way.

Sleepyhead will only report the data your CPAP records - and since the whole point of CPAP is to make your AHI as low as possible, it won't really be able to tell you your non-CPAP AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2019, 10:36 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: I think you are asking:

Can I use my CPAP machine to determine my AHI without the CPAP assist?

I'm not sure if any CPAP can do that, you'd have to turn off the air pressure and I think they all have a minimum pressure.   Maybe, if you set it to the lowest pressure level, you can get a reasonable idea.

If your doc won't refer you to a sleep lab, not sure why not, you might look into a home apnea test and see if you can get the data you want that way.

Sleepyhead will only report the data your CPAP records - and since the whole point of CPAP is to make your AHI as low as possible, it won't really be able to tell you your non-CPAP AHI.

Yes! Thank you, my problem is that i toss and turn, so the mask comes off, or i get tangled in the hose. Since I had my sinus surgery i was wondering if by chance im no longer have Severe Apnea and maybe could try an oral device, but i dont want to pay for one if it wont help.... IM SOOOO TIRED... just trying to figure out what i can do.
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the data that you have provided I can conclude that you have Obstructive Sleep Apnea and at the pressures that you are currently using it is well managed. I can also tell you what you already know, that you do not use the machine for a full night and if you were being monitored for compliance you would fail that category.

What you can do set your min/max at 4cm or set mode to CPAP and pressure to 4 with EPR and Flex off and see if that changes. The best report I could possibly give you would be that I see no apnea at that pressure and that means that your apnea is well treated. There is no way to tell you that you do not have apnea while using a cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
The data doesn't tell us how much of that low rate of compliance is actual sleep time, and how much of it is lying awake and hating the whole shebang.  So, I would be extremely suspicious of that low AHI rate.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.