Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there a way to tell if I have a BiPAP or CPAP?
Question 
Is there a way to tell if I have a BiPAP or CPAP?
Hey,

So I have been using an older Philips Respironics CPAP or BiPAP. I was originally told that my first CPAP was a CPAP, and then my Philips was a BiPAP. However, my last doctor appt (it's been a while) the new Doctor told me it was the opposite. 

I am wanting to know which one I currently have because the Philips is broken. It makes like a darth vader sound and I have a hard time to breath (and it never auto turns on or off). I switched back to my old machine for now so I can breathe and have a working machine (my last doctor visit they did adjust the settings on both machines so I can use one for travel and one at home). But my dad doesn't use his CPAP (he has the AirSense 10) so I was wondering if there is a way to find out for sure what type of machine my ResMed S9 is and which one my broken Philips is. That way I can know if I can use the AirSense 10 my dad says he'll give me.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there a way to tell if I have a BiPAP or CPAP?
What is the label or REF# on the back?  Does it look like one of these?

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

Look at these pages and identify your Philips Respironics machine: https://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-...espironics  This also shows you how to identify the model number.

Also, take a look at your dad's Airsense 10 and let us know what model he has. The model name is in the lower right corner.

[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You also asked to help identify your S9.  Here is where you will find the model name.
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It really does not matter. The ResMed auto set can be used as a bipap up to 3cm and can also set to Cpap.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 07:38 PM)staceyburke Wrote: It really does not matter. The ResMed auto set can be used as a bipap up to 3cm and can also set to Cpap.

Ah ha! So the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset can be BOTH?! That’s great! 

To Crimson Nape, it says VPAP Auto. 

To Sleeprider, I believe it’s 2009-2011 System One. Says REMmaster Auto A-Flex. 

Thank you Staceybrurke!!! And thank you to everyone else!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine appears to be a Philips Respironics 50 Series Remstar auto A-Flex DS50. That is a pretty old machine by now.

As Stacey said the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has EPR (exhale pressure relief), and it works identically to the S9 VPAP auto up to a pressure support of 3-cm. It would he helpful for you to post a chart from the S9 or copy the settings:
Mode:
EPAP pressure or EPAP min
IPAP pressure or IPAP max
Pressure Support if in Vauto mode
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 the OP asked about in post 1 and then was identified in post 5 as VPAP Auto is the VAuto referred to by others just as a 9 series.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 09:02 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your machine appears to be a Philips Respironics 50 Series Remstar auto A-Flex DS50.  That is a pretty old machine by now.  

As Stacey said the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has EPR (exhale pressure relief), and it works identically to the S9 VPAP auto up to a pressure support of 3-cm. It would he helpful for you to post a chart from the S9 or copy the settings:
Mode:
EPAP pressure or EPAP min
IPAP pressure or IPAP max
Pressure Support if in Vauto mode

Question... how old is this machine? It was my 2nd machine that “replaced” my ResMed S9. I got the Philips in like 2016. Was it already out of date when I bought this? It’s one of the reasons why I won’t go back to my old DME and will have to find a new one. I feel like I got shafted. 

But I have an appointment for a sleep doctor to get a check up on my sleep and get a prescription for my new machine. I’m not sure if they program the machine or if I have to go to a DME to change the pressures. But I assume I need a prescription to get parts for it (like bee masks and water tanks and the hose), right?

Edit:

[img=273x896]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/c2deb0c9-8d7d-4118-adc5-3c721768ea5a[/img]
I added a picture of my Philips.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed 9 series is 1 generation old. Philips Respironics 50 series REMstar is at least 2 generations old. So yes if the supplier had you replace ResMed 9 with Respironics 50... You're the recipient of a rip off IMO. Now of course the machine may have been new, but Respironics isn't the better machine for most users, so there that aspect too.

PAP machine and mask need a script, but I do not think hoses and other supplies do, not even mask parts.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 11:00 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: ResMed 9 series is 1 generation old. Philips Respironics 50 series REMstar is at least 2 generations old. So yes if the supplier had you replace ResMed 9 with Respironics 50... You're the recipient of a rip off IMO. Now of course the machine may have been new, but Respironics isn't the better machine for most users, so there that aspect too.

PAP machine and mask need a script, but I do not think hoses and other supplies do, not even mask parts.

Thanks! I already suspected this, but I didn’t know 100% on which machine was newer or older. Next time I buy a machine - which, hopefully with my dads machine he gave me will be a long time - I’ll make sure to do my research on the newest machines and make sure I get the right one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 247 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 200 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,177 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 420 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 673 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  CPAP vs Bipap Jose Castro 6 846 11-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.