Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is there more I can do?
Is there more I can do?
Hello everyone,

New to the board, first post. Just registered but have been lurking reading others stories and all the suggestions and hopefully improve my sleep. 

First, a Thank You to everyone who so freely gives their time and knowledge to helping others  Also Thank You to the Oscar developers, it is such an empowering tool to monitor and help understand what is going on while we sleep or try to. You all can truly say that you have made a difference in the lives of others and no doubt saved lives. Thank You!

I have known I’ve had some sort of sleep disorder for at least 55 yrs and was finally diagnosed in 2016 with OSA and central apnea. I am 67, 150 and on no meds. I’ve had two sleep studies, 2016 and again around 2018. 

I was first given a ResMed Aircurve 10 S which improved the quality of my sleep but I was then, and now still tried. In 2019 my RM Aircurve started the annoying whine on inhale and exhale. I tried to clean the dust out of the motor as I’ve read about, but it still whined. At that time I was eligible for another machine and was given a Respironics Dreamstation Bipap machine. Which I have been using since. 

I’ve only recently in the past few weeks downloaded Oscar. For whatever reason my data only goes back to 2018 with the RM machine. Maybe there wasn’t a card in when I got it and after my second sleep study a card was put in it then.  

Many of my charts have the clusters of events similar to what I have read about positional apnea and how a collar has helped. So I’ve been using a SCC for a week now with very good results. Since starting on the PR machine in 2019 my AHI numbers have bounced between 1 and 10. Now, with the SCC they have been below 1. But I still feel a little tired during the days and I'm hopeful there is room for improvement.

I won’t be eligible for a new machine until next year I think. I’ll try then for a RM machine. Or try to find a used one before then.

Here are a couple of charts, the first is fairly typical before the SCC and the second is typical after starting the SCC.

TIA for any comments, suggestions or help.

Doug

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there more I can do?
Welcome to the forum.

When I read about your centrals I thought you may need to get an ASV but your charts say no.

You are still having issues with positional apnea, though not too bad. This may need a different size collar to fix but that is IMHO optional.

You have some flow limits and RERAs, these are best addressed with additional PS. I suggest increasing min PS to 3, maybe 4 later. PR increased PS to 5.

Try that and see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much Gideon,

I will try your suggestions.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, one basic thought: you may need to reschedule things so you can sleep longer. You're using the machine for around 7.5 hours; subtract some time for falling asleep and night-time wake-ups, and you may be getting little more than 7 hours of sleep. While that's enough for some people, many others need more, and you might be one of them. Is sleeping longer an experiment you can try?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Dormeo! Very basic and valid point. I usually get up for work at 5. Not sure if I've ever had an 8 hr sleep night and I know 8 is recommended but difficult for me. 

I will work on this, it may be just that simple!

Thanks again.
Doug
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are charts from the last 2 nights since increasing the PS from 2 to 3 on the night of the 22nd. Will post a domed shot if helpful.

Although I didn't get 8 hrs sleep on these nights, I did get 8 hr on 3 nights during the week and have been feeling less tired maybe.

Any recommendations about which ResMed machine to be looking for? Would I be served to have the Aircurve 10S that I was originally prescribed repaired? I think I read a member had their blower motor replaced for about $250. Would an Airsense Autoset be sufficient for my needs? Or do I need to look for an Aircurve Vauto?

Thanks again,
Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The top graphs show positional apnea. That means you cut off your own airway with no obstruction. Your machine can NOT help with these, you need to figure out why it happened and stop getting into that position. It could be sleeping on your back. “Chin tucking” is the main reason. You can read about it in my link under collar at the bottom of the post. 

Your second night is not showing any positional apnea so you may not have a big problem with it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
From the charts you've been posting, the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset would do an excellent job of serving your needs. If you get the "For Her" version, you'll be getting an extra setting that is comfortable for both men and women. You have no need for an ASV machine.

If you happen to see a great deal on a lightly used ResMed Aircurve VAuto, that would be another good option. You can use it to do everything the Autoset can do, plus it can offer some additional settings. But it is more expensive and almost certainly more machine than you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Stacey,

I've been using a SCC for about 2 weeks now. It's 3 1/2 inch tall, I think I may have it tighter or looser on different nights. When I wake at night on my back, I notice I'm breathing through my nose, so it helps there maybe. I have an Eliminator collar on order and look forward to trying it.

Thanks!

(01-29-2021, 11:09 AM)Dormeo Wrote: From the charts you've been posting, the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset would do an excellent job of serving your needs.  If you get the "For Her" version, you'll be getting an extra setting that is comfortable for both men and women.  You have no need for an ASV machine.

If you happen to see a great deal on a lightly used ResMed Aircurve VAuto, that would be another good option.  You can use it to do everything the Autoset can do, plus it can offer some additional settings.  But it is more expensive and almost certainly more machine than you need.

Great! I'm seeing a couple of Airsense autosets local for reasonable prices.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again, 

I've been able to find a used low hour ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset locally for a good price, which I bought.

Can someone suggest initial settings? Will my current Dreamstation settings translate to the Autoset? Or the old settings from my Aircurve 10S? Settings that were set after my second sleep study, I think, in 2018. 

Looking at the Oscar charts from the Aircurve and in the clinical setup section, I see it was in CPAP mode as opposed to optional "S" mode. I'm attaching a chart from the last night I used the Aircurve, August 2019. It's ugly, some of it is due perhaps to the whining noise it had been making for a few days keeping me up and a bad fitting mask.

All suggestions and help appreciated,

Thank You,
Doug

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.