Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this normal: Newly diagnosed, no mask fitting?
Is this normal: Newly diagnosed, no mask fitting?
Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and told by the APRN who diagnosed me to await a phone call from the supplier who will provide my CPAP equipment (insurance covers this, thankfully). I'm told I should hear from them in 6 weeks. In the meantime, I'm supposed to look online at mask options and pick something to try without any personal guidance as to what might be appropriate for me. (Since Covid, they've stopped doing in-person fittings and have no plan to return to in-person.) It feels like a lot to expect me to figure this out on my own. 

My question is: Is this typical? Is it good enough?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this normal: Newly diagnosed, no mask fitting?
They should be willing to offer you a mask fitting along with explaining your equipment on your first visit.

You may have to wait 6 weeks for your cpap, but you can still call them now about their policy on mask fittings.  

Also, ask what machine you are receiving.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...d_machines

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this normal: Newly diagnosed, no mask fitting?
Fitting a mask is not something you need help with. The main thing is if you are a mouth breather when asleep. Mouth breather - full face mask. Nose breather less of a mask the better.

Just go to the internet and google the name of a mask on YouTube and you can see it and watch someone demo one.

I like “the lanky lefty 27”. He gives good review of almost all masks
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with UARS just got CPAP with mask need help setting it up nicchamilton 3 135 04-25-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: nicchamilton
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 806 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 131 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 360 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 469 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 600 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 366 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.