Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this the best I can do?
RE: Is this the best I can do?
This is just a couple of nights of Oscar readouts, but I thought I'd post. With just C-Flex on at 2, I was still experiencing some aerophagia. So I thought I'd fool around with the flex settings. On Saturday I used A-Flex at 3 and min. pressure of 12. I got through the night without swallowing air....then Sunday night I kept A-Flex at 3 and raised min pressure to 13. It seemed to go okay with no aerophagia. 

I was wondering about the A-Flex set to 3. Is that an okay setting? The Oscar results seem better to me, but I would appreciate input. Could I do better?  

Also, I have Barrett's Esophagus which is caused by reflux. I read a study that showed that CPAP aerophagia can contribute to further reflux. I need to be really cautious.

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
with Flex =3 most people have issues with, If it is working for you then it is no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm of the mindset that if it's working for you with good AHI results, then it should be fine. AHI and comfort both count. I've got GERD and left side sleeping tends to be better to cope when that's been stirred up. Your own acid reflux issue probably acts similar. When that's in play, do what you must to maximize the comfort level, even if it comes to getting a higher AHI for a while.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are 5 days of OSCAR charts. AHI is really not any better. I don't feel like I am sleeping really well. I have A-Flex on 3 -  min pressure is 13

Post Reply Post Reply
Your  median tidal volume is low for your height. That's probably mean that you are dealing with chronic flow limitations. Do you see a lot of flat topped inhalation in your flow rate graph? Something like this :

If that's the case, switching to a bilevel should help you. It should help your aerophagia as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try Aflex at 2 or even 1, many have trouble with 3, your choice, 1,2,3 based on your comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2019, 01:11 PM)alexp Wrote: Your  median tidal volume is low for your height. That's probably mean that you are dealing with chronic flow limitations. Do you see a lot of flat topped inhalation in your flow rate graph? Something like this :

If that's the case, switching to a bilevel should help you. It should help your aerophagia as well.

My flow rate charts don't look like what you posted, but they look pretty irregular. Attached are random samples from one day.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2019, 02:41 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would try Aflex at 2 or even 1, many have trouble with 3, your choice, 1,2,3 based on your comfort.

Okay, I will lower again. It doesn't seem to make much difference in the numbers any way I have it set.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes that's exactly what a flow limitation looks like. Some people are chronic sufferers like I was and it seems like you are. If you set the scale to -50/50, you'll see that your flow rate it's similar to the picture I uploaded (the top of the curve is flattened). A bilevel would probably be the better machine for you. 

You seems to have some central apneas though. A bilevel could help with that by decreasing the EPAP but it could also make it worse. I think it should be your next step.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.