Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just realized I was sent a used machine....
Just realized I was sent a used machine....
After reading some of the wiki articles here I thought to check the run hours on my machine in the clinical menu and compare it against the number of hours on my profile.  I found that the number of run hours on the machine was 918 and my profile said I had used it for 864 hours.  myAir and Sleepyhead also confirm that I have personally used the machine for 864 hours.  This is a discrepancy of about 60 hrs.  So I'm assuming that I was sent a machine that had been used for a week and sent back for whatever reason.  I have two questions.

1. Since I've already used the machine for nearly 5 months, is there any hope of getting a new machine from my DME (Apria if it matters).
2. Is 60 hours that big of a deal?  It is kind of insulting that they sneak this by but is it actually worth it to return?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just realized I was sent a used machine....
Resmed machines run an additional 20 minutes per session longer as a "cool down". As a result, the number of run hours will always exceed therapy hours by about 10%. Your machine was new, and the discrepancy is from the cool down cycle.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply, I didn't think of that! Just want to be sure I wasn't being played for a sucker. Now I will sleep better knowing that (mostly thanks to my CPAP, but partly from your info too)
Post Reply Post Reply
I was sent a "new" machine about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Machine is running fine, but... downloading data onto SleepyHead shows vast improvement from previous use - in February 2019. I have had the machine since about April 5 2019, yet there are daily numbers for 4 or 5 weeks starting February. Who knows, maybe ResMed or the DME was testing it prior to my receiving the machine - but daily for over a month?
So, I think this is a used machine (AirSense 10, ResMed), but I'm not sure how bent out of shape I should feel. (assuming it's been sterilized somehow before delivering it to me). Things are going well - my AHI has come down nicely (thanks to a soft cervical collar), just some leak issues I'm addressing.
I 'm going to ask my DME, but in every other respect they've been actually quite good. I'm a physician, and well acquainted with how to get the DME in trouble (simple - complain to my health insurance provider; they're the ones paying for a "new" machine). Just not sure if this is a battle worth fighting. All thoughts welcome!
Mike Miller
Post Reply Post Reply
Mike Miller
That deserves a complaint simply because you should NEVER receive a machine with another patients data on it. As a doctor I know that you know that.

It is easy enough to wipe the session data.

As a Medical Professional I would be pleased if you would join our OSCAR development team as an advisor. OSCAR is a derivative of SleepyHead since the SleepyHead project is shutdown.

Please PM me if interested.
Post Reply Post Reply
my first machine was purchased as new, once i reached 3k hours of therapy i went in info and saw 5k run hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
cool down may well explain the extra hours but am I wrong in thinking cool down only occurs when the humidifier is turned on? I assume that most do have the humidifier on but some may not (e.g., mine is off most of the time).
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2019, 09:50 AM)MichaelLMiller Wrote: I was sent a "new" machine about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Machine is running fine, but... downloading data onto SleepyHead shows vast improvement from previous use - in February 2019.  I have had the machine since about April 5 2019, yet there are daily numbers for 4 or 5 weeks starting February.  Who knows, maybe ResMed or the DME was testing it prior to my receiving the machine - but daily for over a month?
  So, I think this is a used machine (AirSense 10, ResMed), but I'm not sure how bent out of shape I should feel. (assuming it's been sterilized somehow before delivering it to me).  Things are going well - my AHI has come down nicely (thanks to a soft cervical collar), just some leak issues I'm addressing.
  I 'm going to ask my DME, but in every other respect they've been actually quite good.  I'm a physician, and well acquainted with how to get the DME in trouble (simple - complain to my health insurance provider; they're the ones paying for a "new" machine).  Just not sure if this is a battle worth fighting.  All thoughts welcome!
Mike Miller

You can check the run hours of the machine. In the menus under about. It sounds like the machine was used at the DME prior to you getting it and they did not wipe that data that is not good. A new machine direct from Resmed has no hours of use and no data on the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
My apologies Mike,
I forgot you were already a team member.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I received my machine / supplies, we went to the DME supplier to pick it all up. Everything appeared to be new / unused. That was last early September.

The complete mask and hose was sealed in it's original ResMed factory packaging. The machine itself was in a carry case and included all written material.

Again, it all appeared to be new. The protective clear plastic was still on the screen and the round dial of the machine. 

it wasn't until about 10 days of use that I found this forum. Once here, I learned about DME suppliers and some of their shady practices. 

I did go into the clinician menu and check the total run hours on my machine. It was 52 hours more than I could account for at the time.

I didn't call the DME supplier and make a big deal out of it. A member on here explained it away to my satisfaction. 

Anyways, since becoming a member of this fine forum, I'm much more enlightened when it comes to treatment and SA equipment. 

Down the road, when I'm due a new machine, I'll know what to ask and what to look for.  Happy Eyes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,107 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,851 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,339 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Just realized there is no SD card in new machine.. what to do? Janieprint 10 7,207 04-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,786 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
Exclaimation WOW!! Just realized that CPAP has nearly put an end to my horrid heartburn and reflux kyhmm72 10 3,028 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Last Post: giagray
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,278 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.