Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just try lip tape!
Just try lip tape!
I tried lip tape for the last week and it’s been very positive for me. I have been on therapy now since 2018 with a mild diagnosis of 7 events per hr. I zeroed in on a fixed pressure thanks to this board.
But after always searching for the ultimate sleep,I just thought to give the ole lip tape a try after reading numerous post about this. I use a Nasal mask, have almost non existent flow limits and really no indication that I lose pressure through my mouth. I’m shocked on how rested I have been lately and would encourage everyone just to try it.  I use just a 1/2 “ wide medical tape, 1” long. Just try it, it’s cheap and easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just try lip tape!
3M Nexcare works very well for me but it is expensive over the course of a year.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I could try this but I frequently struggle to breathe through my nose. decongestants help but I find more than two nights' use results in sore nasal passages. maybe i should try to find a decongestant that doesn't irritate.

Good to hear tape worked for you though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, I use Fluticasone Propionate 50mcg. I buy it on Amazon in the 5 pack.  One spray in each nostril an hr. before bed .   When you first start using this you need stick with it a few days before you see results.  Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been mouth taping for a year and there is never a night I go without. I tried 3M Nexcare, 3M Nexcare for Sensitive skin, Cover-Roll, silicone tape and Griff Grips. My go-to now is Griff Grips. Yes, it is a little spendy but I like how sturdy it is. Cover-Roll is probably the most cost effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2022, 11:39 AM)YipeekiOH Wrote: My go-to now is Griff Grips.

Griff Grips?  First time I read about that one.  Expensive indeed.  I hope none of these tapes that we're all using are toxic in any way as we might consume trace amounts on occasion and over time.

Tape is one of my favorite subjects.  It's much more popular than widely believed.  It's a miracle solution for "mouth breathers" who can't/won't use alternative methods (full face masks, chinstraps, neck braces, etc.).  My favorite was a 3M Nexcare style, but in the past couple years they seemed to stop producing the version that I was buying.  None of the many other Nexcare styles seem to match it.  Can't get it anywhere now, so I've gone back to a paper tape style that I purchased in bulk off Az several years ago.  Sticks great but often painful to remove.  A layer of cream before applying actually does the trick.  

On the one hand, one would think someone would market a specific version for one's mouth, but there's the potential for enormous liabilities if it doesn't go as planned for a few.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yikes, I just use Johnson & Johnson. I thought it worked well. Maybe I don’t know how to tape my mouth like the pros and I’m obviously lacking experience. But my procedure is just stick it to the lips. 1/2 wide and inch long does the trick. Is this how you do it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was using Hush strip mouth tape. Works well, however I ran out and ended up using 3M Nexcare. Is that safe to use? Used it last night and had a much lower leak rate than with the Hush Strips. However, I'm not sure it's safe to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2022, 11:39 AM)YipeekiOH Wrote: I have been mouth taping for a year and there is never a night I go without. I tried 3M Nexcare, 3M Nexcare for Sensitive skin, Cover-Roll, silicone tape and Griff Grips. My go-to now is Griff Grips. Yes, it is a little spendy but I like how sturdy it is. Cover-Roll is probably the most cost effective.

Would Griff Grips work with me as I have a full beard and mustache?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want a black mouth tape with inventive marketing that claims to work with beards, google Captive Tape. Smile

Expensive, though.  I haven't tried it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 811 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,263 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 769 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,761 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 414 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mouth puffing up with tape shamrock72 12 2,260 11-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: antond
  PAP MD Mouth Tape Columbiabill 6 8,366 10-28-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: antiquefrek

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.