Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Keep waking up several times at night, central apneas
RE: Keep waking up several times at night, central apneas
This was last night:
[Image: fAUFwtA.png]

So I put EPR to 2 (instead of 3) and humidifier to 2 (from 4) and cleaned my mask (p10) thoroughly. I guess that helped. But now I seem to have a lot of leaks going on. And I guess that leak around 5 am might've even been the cause of me waking up. I should get one of those hosebuddies, right now it's just laying on the bed (I have the machine underneath the bed to dampen noise).

I woke up at around 5:10 (with a small amount of pee in my bladder, but this time I decided to ignore it) and then went back to sleep until 7:20. So this is quite an improvement I must say. I hope this continues and I might even try setting EPR to 1. How I feel? I don't have the feeling I'm actually finished sleeping, but I do feel a heck of a lot better than yesterday morning which was really crappy with a headache.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 12:46 AM)icedbeverage Wrote: This was last night.
 (I have the machine underneath the bed to dampen noise).

Dont put the machine on the floor.  It will suck in dust and dirt.  Put it on a low table or shelf part of an end table.  You will get used to the white noise.

You numbers look good.  Leave the EPR at 2 if you feel good.  Stay on the current settings for 4 or 5 days.

I see you got in more hours of sleep.  Let's try to keep a regular bed time and plan on 7 to 8 hours of sleep.  Cut back the electronics at 2 hours before you go to sleep.  

Quote:I should get one of those hosebuddies, right now it's just laying on the bed 
If you want sure get a hose hook. google CPAP Hose Lift

Otherwise it looks good to me.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 11:36 AM)factor Wrote: Dont put the machine on the floor.  It will suck in dust and dirt.  Put it on a low table or shelf part of an end table.  You will get used to the white noise.

You numbers look good.  Leave the EPR at 2 if you feel good.  Stay on the current settings for 4 or 5 days.

I see you got in more hours of sleep.  Let's try to keep a regular bed time and plan on 7 to 8 hours of sleep.  Cut back the electronics at 2 hours before you go to sleep.  

If you want sure get a hose hook. google CPAP Hose Lift

Otherwise it looks good to me.

My plan is to build a wooden box with noise dampening material on the inside, and making a hole in the box so fresh air can enter the box. Then put the cpap inside to dampen noise.
You say I'll get used to it, but why not build something that'll eliminate it?

I'm really not feeling it yet in the morning. Yesterday I didn't have a headache upon waking up but did about 30 minutes/an hour later. The headache seemed to persist until night time. Wasn't the best day yesterday. I'm guessing it's because of my REM sleep being interrupted multiple times by leaks or other things.

I just got up, no headache this morning and I'm a little better than yesterday. Score of 0.3, all centrals that coincided with leaks. My hose buddy is arriving today I'll see if my leak rate improves with that, I hope so.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may not be to suggest but, my thought with virtually not getting any Apneas, may worth turning down both Min & Max pressure, reducing the pressure may possibly assist morning Brain fog in the start?  If Say even just set back just both Max and Min .2 each few nights? until start to see some getting some real Numbers, so then aware what pressure is actually treating the Apneas ? and is only a thought , those more experienced / knowledge may comment otherwise if is a consideration?  But again as ? on those Nil numbers if opportunity focus minimum pressure to treat and also the comfort achieve sleep with the risk of few AHI numbers at least then in the breaking in the machine or other way around yourself? in the start least, while adopting to CPAP treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2021, 01:56 AM)ICEMAN Wrote: It may not be to suggest but, my thought with virtually not getting any Apneas, may worth turning down both Min & Max pressure, reducing the pressure may possibly assist morning Brain fog in the start?  If Say even just set back just both Max and Min .2 each few nights? until start to see some getting some real Numbers, so then aware what pressure is actually treating the Apneas ? and is only a thought , those more experienced / knowledge may comment otherwise if is a consideration?  But again as ? on those Nil numbers if opportunity focus minimum pressure to treat and also the comfort achieve sleep with the risk of few AHI numbers at least then in the breaking in the machine or other way around yourself? in the start least, while adopting to CPAP treatment?

Thanks for the suggestion.
But isn't my starting pressure (7) already pretty low? I've read that if you go below this, you might feel air starved. Turning down the max pressure might be an idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi icedbeverage
What you say may be correct for some and yet also others may not "such as myself" have assurance it is always your choice, to your own person and situation and is just knowledge awareness and will have more informed judgement of own concerns and on the Pro's & Con's consequences.

Now also note machine settings 04- 20 so to  me is t obviously have  reason  "wrongly or Rightly" for a purpose? and capability to use those pressures? otherwise they would not have fixed starting pressure at that level ? While many, may not able to handle the lower pressures, in the start but some have trained themselves to those pressures over time, to both high, and   low  pressures ,  visa/versus,  the body does adapt ! "small slow increments" 

I myself started on Remstar machine from start from pressure 6 think was and slowly pushing up the pressure which think got it to 18 before gave it away, with out reducing AHI of 3 to get the perfect  Zero!  But now look back, that time was without Sleepy head which is now Oscar, my unawareness of positional Obstructions etc, or that once event occurs is to late to treat by the machine such as Obstruction and did instantly increasing pressure would not blast away the Obstruction Apnea? But then either way back then My machine also did not identify the difference between of Obstruction or (CA) Clear Airways / Centrals'? 

In addition to that many while may only have low AHI Number but may still need very high pressure to prevent becoming an Apnea and yet others also may have High AHI number and yet may only need a  low pressure to prevent those events occuring ?

Now my present settings presently now  at 5.6-7.6  which have been testing for minimal possible pressure in hope reduce my (CA) AHI is higher than my combined O & H, so have focus on  (CA) with lower pressure is less likely to trigger an increase of (CA's) but given that I also have some luck as lower pressure in still also treating my O & H's presently keeping them under 2AHI at those lower pressures? 

Then I also have theory that have recently improved my Side sleeping and also more regular exercise is also which  overl assisted on AHI's ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2021, 01:37 AM)icedbeverage Wrote: You say I'll get used to it, but why not build something that'll eliminate it?

What makes you need the silence?  The world is not silent.  You car is not silent.  The walk in the park is not silent.  You are already used to other noises of the world, birds, cars, tv, youtube and on and on.  What makes you worry for this?  

Your numbers are good.  0.0 is not the goal.  Sounds like you feel fine and are getting used to the therapy.  Work on your Sleep Hygiene.

Also I hope you are well and not in the floods.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
iced beverage,
I think one reason you aren’t seeing huge changes in how you feel is because you started out in pretty good shape, with  AHI of 17 (based on a pretty marginal test, I realize).
I started APAP in much the same boat, but the key, immediate benefit was that my snoring went down 100% which was VERY important and instantly told me something good was happening.
My PCP also gave me a pep talk — everyone has a period of near-wakefulness about 4 hours into their sleep cycle.  Waking up isn’t failure, it’s nature.  When I took that to heart, I stopped being anxious.  Getting up for a moment, giving the air conditioner a nudge, taking a good gulp of water and realizing it was ok to have awakened settles me down and suddenly I wake up and the sun is out.
Try to work your falling asleep time forward to 10 or 11.  That way you wake up at 3 and you have plenty of nighttime to fall back and stay asleep.  Morning light can easily rob you of 1 or 2 hours of sleep when you go to bed at midnight or later.
I have learned to like the “white noise” of CPAP machines.
Keep at it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes 7 as a starting pressure is pretty low alright. First, are you sure that you're machine has you set to pillows and not full face mask? Second, I wonder...maybe your headaches are related to not getting enough oxygen? This may be entirely wrong. But I wonder is increasing your minimum pressure may deliver more oxygen and help in that regard. perhaps you're a shallow breather while asleep...?

I'm not at all experienced in this topic other than having been on cpap for fifteen years or so. A more experienced person may think my suggestion isn't appropriate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oxygen levels are something to consider with the mention of headaches.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 584 22 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 105 2 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,518 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.