Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics
Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics
Has anyone returned their defective machines to Philips Respironics? I have two 60-series System One Autos that I have RMAed and received return shipping labels for. I expect to get a check for $168 for each machine that I return, which breaks down to $68 for the value of the used machine and $100 as an incentive to get the machine out of circulation. Do you know if anything needs to be shipped back with the machine? (power brick, humidifier, etc.?) Also do you know if the shipping labels expire? I'm not sure how soon I can get the defective machines out the door. FedEx Office isn't that far away, but I don't have a car or a printer to print the return labels. The tracking numbers do not appear in FedEx's tracking system.

I'm sure someone will be interested in the link: https://www.respironicscpap-elsettlement...ligibility
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics
There is not much benefit to keeping accessories, but all Philips wants is the machine. Get the refund while you can! These guys are fading fast and there won't be money forever for these old devices. As far as labels, if you have a link or email, most UPS and FedEx locations can use your information to help you print a label. If you have the labels, the tracking numbers will not appear until the label is in-transit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Dave, 

If you got a letter from Phillips-Respironics and went to the page on the letter, after you filled in some information, the page should have sent you to a FedEx page with a QR code.  I packed my SystemOne in the travel bag with all the things that came with it and went to the FedEx office.  I didn’t have to get a box or tape anything or have a label printed, the guy scanned the QR code and took the machine.  A few minutes later I got an email confirming the receipt of the machine.  I imagine that I will get a check for some amount of money that remains unknown.  Separately, as part of a settlement of a lawsuit against Phillips-Respironics, I got two letters; as if I still had the SystemOne.  They offered 100 dollars for each of the machines with the proviso that by participating in the settlement, I will not receive a replacement machine and I give up the right to sue individually.  I found it odd that they offered 168 dollars for your two SystemOne’s because Phillips-Respironics original offer was 50 dollars.  From my perspective Phillips-Respironics buying back the SystemOne’s is a bargain because it means that they don’t have to replace them or count them in the total of machines eligible for the settlement, however, I may well have lost 50 dollars in the bargain.  (AFAIK) if you registered for the recall and do nothing regarding the settlement you risk getting nothing even if you then return your machine.  If I read the materials correctly, you have until August 7th 2024 to do something.
Post Reply Post Reply
quietlyamuck:

I never received the letter from PR that you received because I was unknown to PR up until a few days ago. I stayed out of the initial recall and never registered for it because I thought the recall were overblown. I even considered buying a third machine on the used market after the recall was announced, but decided against it. The news about the 100,000 FDA complaints and 500 deaths left left me feeling stressed and spooked, which prompted me to send them back ASAP. The deals they are now offering are different from the offers at the time the recall was first announced. They are not offering a replacement machine at this time. However there is (was?) an offer to reimburse the cost of a replacement machine, but I was not eligible for it because I waited too long to purchase a replacement machine.

I went to FedEx Office this afternoon and dropped off the two machines. They have now shown up in FedEx's tracking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Dave, 

I doesn’t surprise me that you thought the matter was overblown, I do not think they did a great job of communicating what was happening.  I also don’t think that they have looked at all the factors that can cause the foam to break down, that is, I suspect that running the machine for longer periods of time, particularly, where the air is less dense and more dry and the machine cannot get rid of the heat it generates, can cause the foam to break down even if Wyoming “hot” is not Arizona “HOT!”.  I use an inline filter —started as soon as the recall was announced— and I have found all manner of particulates trapped in the filter.  I also think that they were not that great at communicating the issues because they wanted to avoid individual lawsuits which would be far more costly than a class action suit.  

Check to see to whom you sent your machines.  While PR wanted my SystemOne, it appears that whomever wants the Dreamstation is related to the class action suit, however, I got letters for both from the class action.  If you have not received a letter per registered machine from the class action suit, you probably will soon.  I am not sure but I believe that it is necessary to register with PR as well as the class action to actually get any money.  Is there an appeal process for the reimbursement for the purchase of a new machine?  

It might be that the ban on the sale of their machines in the US keeps them from offering you a replacement, however, at the rate they were going, they might as well have told me that they weren’t sending me a DreamStation 2 ever! LOL! I am curious, since you sent both machines, I imagine that one was your backup, what are you using now?
Post Reply Post Reply
quietlyamuck:

I applied for the class action settlement, through the link https://www.respironicscpap-elsettlement...ligibility which belongs to the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania (same link as my original post). I shipped the machines to TD Synnex in Groveport, Ohio, which I assume is an agent of the court.

The reimbursement for the replacement machine is also part of the class action settlement. The replacement had to be purchased by a certain date last summer. I ordered the replacement from Supplier #1 last Tuesday night after hours, and started using it Thursday night. I had just enough money in my HSA account from a former employer to purchase it.

I am considering using the settlement money to partially fund the purchase of a new backup machine, assuming that Supplier #1 is still running their deeply discounted promo. Otherwise, I am stuck using an S8 Autoset II or an S7 Autoset Respond as a backup. Both are absolute dinosaurs, with drastically lower performance than the AirSense 10 Autoset, or even the System One 60-series.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,983 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,674 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,221 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,864 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,900 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  csa machines cexer 1 133 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 478 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.