Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks
Large Leaks
I get short and long lasting large leaks often.  This example is confusing to me.  Pressure rose to maximum with no apnea event or large leak.  The leaks started after the the pressure went up.  It seems like the pressure caused the leaks or could have I bumped the mask loose causing a pressure increase, and the leaks did not register until four minutes later?

I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leaks
In order to offer any suggestions, a complete screenshot of your daily screen, using the F12 key (or Fn+F12 for a Mac). You may already have OSCAR configured properly, but I thought I would go on and list them up front. You will need to use the Standard view and have all the graphs in their default order.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2023, 03:16 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: In order to offer any suggestions, a complete screenshot of your daily screen, using the F12 key (or Fn+F12 for a Mac).  You may already have OSCAR configured properly, but I thought I would go on and list them up front.  You will need to use the Standard view and have all the graphs in their default order.

- Red

I hope this is the right format.  I see the other leak areas line up with the pressure increases.  Looking like movement during sleep causing leaks?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, you didn't use the F12 key, or it would have the data on the left side of the Daily screen too. Your Flow Limit graph is displaying high limits, thus causing your CPAP to increase pressure.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I did do a screen shot, but I had only the graphs on the screen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have EPR set at 2. Increasing EPR to 3 will reduce flow limitations.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2023, 08:41 PM)Melman Wrote: You have EPR set at 2. Increasing EPR to 3 will reduce flow limitations.

Could you explain how EPR affects Large Leaks please, or is that another issue you recognized from my OSCAR report?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR does not effect large leaks. It will reduce flow limitations and the pressure increases associated with the spikes in your flow limitations. I don't know that it will be enough to reduce your leaks, but should reduce RERAs and hypopneas. The leaks are due to poor mask fit or adjustment. It may be that the F10 is not the best match for your face, that you have the wrong size, or that it's not adjusted properly. I use the F20 and see no leaks at a pressure of 14. Here is a link for the sizing template for your mask.
https://document.resmed.com/documents/pr...ow_eng.pdf

Go to the link for the mask primer below. It addresses mask adjustments to eliminate leaks. It's possible your mouth is opening resulting in a break in the lower seal. That is a problem I experienced until I began wearing a soft cervical collar for positional apnea. A chin strap would also work if that is the issue. Finding the right mask can be very challenging. I tried several before the F20
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  It is coming back to me now.  I went through 5 masks 12 years ago and settled on the F10 that has never been right but better than others.  It probably is my mouth breathing that is breaking the seal, not cpap pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very happy to have found, by researching here on ApneaBoard, the Evora hybrid full face mask, and two other similar models.  I got the Evora. The seal is much better than the Resmed F20.  I've never gotten a Green Smiley face for more than a few seconds with any mask from a fit test till the Evora FF hybrid.  The mask is much more comfortable, and I can FINALLY loosen up on headgear straps.  My mouth was not desert dry upon waking.  I was beginning to get sores at the top of my nose due to tight strapping the F20.  My hope is back for better CPAP therapy.  Big Grin

Trying regular CPAP mode (as opposed to APAP) with my minimum pressure stopped leaks by did not go well.  My oximeter report score out of APAP mode was similar to a night with no therapy.  

Now I can work on pressure settings and hopefully not fight the leak battle each night.  I think wearing CPAP gear disturbs my sleep a great deal even after 15 years of trying to adapt and large leaks definitely wake me.  I wake, yank on the mask and/or adjust straps, then back to sleep over and over.  I have high hopes for these hybrid masks to end that almost nightly Large Leak battle. Heck with insurance covering them, I am out of time to wait on that.

I have another question concerning figures in the color coded event bars on an OSCAR report.  I have searched well (including my threads) but can't find the answer. Huh Unsure  I wonder if I should add it to this post or start a new thread.  Thank you for understanding when I post incorrectly.

Grin I am very excited to see what the new version of OSCAR will produce.  If I can help in any way to test it please let me know.  My overactive imagination sees a voice activated OSCAR as part of CPAP machine soft/firmware, Bluetooth uploads to a cell phone and wifi, and uses AI to make suggestions.  "OSCAR, how is my therapy going?" OSCAR, "You could use some sleep."   Dielaughing

Tallyho y'all
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.