Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large leaks.... due to old nasal pillows?
Large leaks.... due to old nasal pillows?
Hi all,

How often do you change your face mask / nasal pillows? I've had a bipap for about 4.5 months now, and had great success the first few months but lately it seems like my leak rate is very high. I'm even getting the frown face on my Aircurve Vauto.

Could this be from not changing my nasal pillows since I got the device?

Also, it feels like the elastic on my headstrap is starting to get worn out. 

How often do you replace your parts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large leaks.... due to old nasal pillows?
For reference here's my sleep from last night's OSCAR data...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It would be helpful to include the left panel as well as the daily. Your cushion might be worn out, or maybe you can heat your headgear to restore like new shape. Some here throw their headgear in the dryer, others boil it in hot water. Maybe it's something else. Your leaks are hindering therapy. Some of it is likely mouth leaks. But I do know something needs attention. Cushion replacement or size, headgear, correcting incorrect adjustments, poor fit, mask type. I'm not certain really where to begin. I'd also not trust the grinning ghouls on mask fit or the machine leak rating system.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2021, 05:44 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It would be helpful to include the left panel as well as the daily. Your cushion might be worn out, or maybe you can heat your headgear to restore like new shape. Some here throw their headgear in the dryer, others boil it in hot water. Maybe it's something else. Your leaks are hindering therapy. Some of it is likely mouth leaks. But I do know something needs attention. Cushion replacement or size, headgear, correcting incorrect adjustments, poor fit, mask type. I'm not certain really where to begin. I'd also not trust the grinning ghouls on mask fit or the machine leak rating system.

Thank you for your response!

I've noticed that a lot of mornings I've been waking up with a dry mouth and a lot of drool, even though I've been mouth taping. I think it might have something to do with my bite. I have an open bite where my back teeth hit but not my front teeth.

I'd say this type of leak rate is happening more frequently, but it doesn't happen every night. Some nights there is little or no issue with leakage.

I've attached a screenshot of the left panel from OSCAR.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
What mask are you using? With my P10, leaks definitely increase as th cushion gets older, and I have to take in the head gear or put it through the wash to get back to shape. My insurance gives me a new cushion every month and mask 6-months. I get them to last longer, but the head gear does better after a wash and dry. Your leak rate is on the threshold of a large leak all the time, so that's a lot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd try doing the easy part first. Replace the cushion and do a wash and dry on the headgear to see if that helps correct things. Gotta love trial and error, it's in all things PAP. With dry mouth and etcetera, it could be the situation where your mouth opens or goes slack. Maybe a strap can hold it closed if it becomes an issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my experience, using a P30i. First I've noticed that my nostril don't have the same size; it's not a big difference, but the left one is a bit larger (that is wider) than the right one.

Now the pillow changes its form slightly, just a bit, during the use in a way that the left part gets a big wider. We're talking about 1, less than 2 millimeters: it's just noticeable. Compare this to ride in the new leather saddle on you bike. Wink

That said, a new pillow doesn't seal as good as a one which took the form of your nostrils already: new pillow tends to a bit larger leaks. Usually I've practically zero leaks, let the median be at most 4. It doubles or triples using a new pillow.

A ridden in pillow lasts six to eight month in my case, just like old vine it becomes better and better each night. You see the pillocalypse rising when the edges of the pillow loose their elliptical shape.

But anyways your leakage is way too high; merely a leaf blower than a CPAP-machine ... Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.