Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak City. What is going on?
RE: Leak City. What is going on?
You might want to look at the Leak Rate chart on the Overview page for the last six months to see any trends.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried out the Airtouch f20 mask yesterday and I think I saw some improvement since the medium leak rate went down to around 3~. I had one major leak in the morning but I guess that's inevitable.(see attachment).

When I look at my overview for the last year on leak rate it looks like I've had periods of more leaks which then have decreased(see attachment).

I think I'll give this mask a couple of more nights and see if stays around the same leak rate.
Thanks for ya'lls helpful comments  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, keep track of the leak trend. See what you get within the next few days.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you have done what I ws going to suggest. I use the F20 AirTouch--it is the only full face mask I've found that almost fits my small face. It has to be worn quite tight but once adjusted the foam really clings. I did try a F20 AirFit and couldn't stand it even for an hour--leaked like crazy. I still do have some mouth leaks but at least they are contained inside the cushion. I find the tightness of the mask pulls my chin back, but puts a lot of pressure under my mouth which almost prevents my mouth from staying closed. This foam mask has to be cleaned with wipes and I barely get 4 weeks out of one--did stretch to 5 last month. I don't have a beard to worry about but supposedly it works for those that have one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2021, 12:47 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I see you have done what I ws going to suggest.  I use the F20 AirTouch--it is the only full face mask I've found that almost fits my small face.  It has to be worn quite tight but once adjusted the foam really clings.  I did try a F20 AirFit and couldn't stand it even for an hour--leaked like crazy.  I still do have some mouth leaks but at least they are contained inside the cushion.  I find the tightness of the mask pulls my chin back, but puts a lot of pressure under my mouth which almost prevents my mouth from staying closed.  This foam mask has to be cleaned with wipes and I barely get  4 weeks out of one--did stretch to 5 last month.  I don't have a beard to worry about but supposedly it works for those that have one.

I've had terrible marks on the bridge of my nose from the AirFit F20 but the memory foam on the AirTouch has a different feel. However I got the same size(M) on the AirTouch as I'm using on the AirFit and it squeezes my nose slightly which reduces nasal airflow. Did you find the AirTouch smaller compared to the AirFit(if you used the same size that is)?
I have some wipes that are alcohol-free which was adviced for cleaning. Do you use special wipes for the mask?

(09-15-2021, 12:24 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Yes, keep track of the leak trend. See what you get within the next few days.

Will do, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's squeezing your nose you might be wearing it too low. It sits a little higher on the face than most masks, and for me, it sits on the boney bridge of my nose. I do still occasionally get sore there with even the Airtouch F20, at which point I get a few days on pillows, taping, chinstrap/collar until it heals up again, but once it's up higher I find I get less pressure. The biggest issue I have is when my jaw drops, then I start to leak - so if it's tight enough to not leak, it can be a little uncomfortable initially until it's been on a few minutes (not like MASSIVE discomfort, but more pressure than I want). That said, I can leave the top straps fairly loose to reduce the pressure on my nose.

If possible, maybe try slipping it up a bit higher, so the point at the top is closer to your eyebrows than the centre of your eyes?

Also, for cleaning, I just use the basic mask wipes - I order my foam inserts in bulk from Resmed (its the cheapest source in the UK) and they do a deal of x amount of inserts plus a bunch of free wipes. As long as it's alcohol-free it should be fine, just don't get it wet. For reference - the recommended swap out time is 30 days of use. I can usually get between 5 and 6 weeks before I start to spot leaks. Which is pretty good going as I use it usually 10-12 hours a day, sometimes more.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the AirTouch foam cushion was more narrow and pointed across the nasal bridge compared to the same sized cushion in AirFit silicone. This may have been a one off status or maybe it was normal for the F20.

I didn't find this F20 to be very good for me after getting both style of cushion and all 3 sizes. Too inconsistent in leaks that cropped up every few nights. I have up on that mask after a year.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 239 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.