Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak event flags vs. Leak rate graph
Leak event flags vs. Leak rate graph
I have a basic question about understanding the correlation between what I see in the leak rate graph versus the LL (I assume that means Large Leak) event flags in the event summary map graph. 

For example, in the attached graph, around 1:50am, it shows a significant, though relatively brief, leak---but there is not an LL event flag.  Was the duration too short to qualify as a large leak---or is its leak rate of 36 too small to qualify as a LL?  (Indeed, what defines a Large Leak, if that is what it means?)

Also, how does Resmed DEFINE the leak rate? I read somewhere that some manufacturers include the "baseline leak" of the machine in their leak rate quantifier number but others quantify the EXCESS leak over the base rate. Do I understand this correctly? (Of course, because I have a Resmed machine, I'm most interested in what their leak rate numbers indicate.)

Thanks for your help. I've lowered my AHI significantly with the help of this board.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak event flags vs. Leak rate graph
All masks have a designed or intentional leak.  The Philips brand of CPAPs will report the intentional leak and any leak above its designed value.  The Resmed CPAPs only report any leak above the designed value.  Resmed defines a Large Leak as being over 24 L/min. The reason your leak wasn't flagged was probably because it didn't last long enough.  This could be from a quick mask adjustment or even scratching your face under the mask.  Your leak blip is referred to as an artifact within the data.  Artifacts occur in most data streams.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 235 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,408 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 114 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 89 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.