Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Linux, OSCAR, on a Dell Latitude E6510
Linux, OSCAR, on a Dell Latitude E6510
I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Latitude E6510 and if it goes to sleep or hibernates or in any way shuts off the screen, it's a royal pain getting it to come back on. I usually have to force a shut down and then hope the screen comes back on when I re-start.

I want to install Linux on this machine and use it to run OSCAR. Can anyone recommend a distro? I just want something simple as I have very little experience with Linux.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Linux, OSCAR, on a Dell Latitude E6510
It depends on the power of the machine. CPU ? Amount of RAM ?
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
First, being Win7, you can go to the Control Panel ⇾ Power Options and turn off the Sleep and Hibernate.  Now about Linux; There are more distros of Linux than there are CPAP mask styles.  Look here for a review of the distros: https://distrowatch.com/.  Personally, I prefer Linux Mint. It is a variation of Ubuntu.  

Since you're coming from a Windows platform, the 5 closest to a Windows OS are:
  1. Linux Lite
  2. Zorin OS (No relation to the James Bond villain that I know of Big Grin)
  3. Kubuntu (Ubuntu with a different desktop)
  4. Linux Mint
  5. Ubuntu MATE

Good luck.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know the first 2 distributions but
Kubuntu, Mint or Mate ==> not a machine with less then 4Go.
Otherwise, you'll to be (very) patient.

If the machine have more than 2 Go and less then 4Go, You can try Xubuntu (Ubuntu with xfce GUI).

If the machine have more than 4Go, you can try the one you want.
Usually for people coming from Windows, Linux Mint cinnamon (not mate) can be a good choice.
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dell Latitude E6510 15.6" Laptop Notebook Windows 7 Pro Core i7-620M 2.66GHz/ 8GB RAM /SOLID STATE 120GB SSD HD DVD-RW
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I7 & 8Go : You can put the distribution which suit to you.

Most of them have a live session : you can start from CD/DVD/USB Key and try.

I don't know Linux Lite & Zorin.
I use Xubuntu (because the purpose is to have a "ligth" UI to run VMs with VirtualBox) --> you can try it with a live session
You can try Mint (live session mode) with 2 GUI : Cinnamon or Mate.
--> When you come from Windows, I think Cinnamon is more "user friendly".
Ubuntu has a GUI which need more memory, you can try it in a live session.

On *buntu, the 20.04 version has been launched on April : it's better behavior to wait for 20.04.1 (which will be launched during summer holidays).

Post Reply Post Reply
Side note: If you choose Linux Mint, use the OSCAR_1.1.1_Ubuntu_18.04_amd64 version.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepster,
I run Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64-bit, and I like it very much.  I'm running an Intel Core I5 with 8GB RAM, converted from Windows 7.  I can still run Windows in a Virtualbox VM when (rarely) needed, as I still have a program or 2 that are only supported in Windows.  Migrating to Mint was quite painless for me, as I have some experience with linux from managing servers.  It implements many common keyboard shortcuts the same as Windows:  Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V for Copy and Paste, for example.  I did try Zorin OS and Manjaro linux on the way to Linux Mint, and I prefer Mint over either.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
A good way to evaluate Linux is to "burn" an ISO of your choice to a USB and run it as a live system. I run a very old T410 Lenovo i5 with Xubuntu 18.04 just for OSCAR. The basic startup with XFCE [the desktop manager] is reasonably familiar for someone who has used Win 7. A "live" USB will give you the chance to connect your wifi and use the environment without altering your existing hard drive. Depending on your understanding of partition tools you can when you are ready, [if there is enough free space] keep your Win 7 and install Linux along with it. Linux will then create a bootloader for you to choose from at startup.
Xubuntu 18.04 is a long term release overlapping the latest Ubuntu 20.04 release and still has about 3 years full support remaining. I would recommend Xubuntu 18.04 as it is working nicely with OSCAR. Depending on your grasp of Linux you can virtually install OSCAR in the live environment to get a feel for how things work. I have used Linux for a long time as my one operating system. You don't need a Yoda like understanding of the terminal to use Linux. It certainly helps in certain circumstances [as with windows] and in most instances will be covered by a GUI application.
I'm more a user than a Linux nerd - even after 20 years - Linux can be either and will depend on the depth you want to go.
Try a live USB first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Download the Linux ISO of your choice.
Using the USB writing tool on your OS write the ISO to the USB.
Reboot the computer and acess the BIOS set up or alternate boot media screen. If in doubt google you computer/laptop and find the particular key to press.
Boot from the USB you wrote the ISO to.
When the USB live system boots you can explore or eventually install Linux.
Until you have a working understanding of the live environment treat it like a high powered car. Don't play with partitioning tools Smile until you understand the consequences.
This link may be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwqP_4vlOP4
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 1,026 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 285 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dell XPS-13 Laptop & OSCAR Display Resolution 44tonner 2 222 03-04-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: 44tonner
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 471 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  F12/Take Screenshot Not Saving Screenshot under Linux? DigitalMan43 4 713 09-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DigitalMan43
  o2 insight pro on linux Jim Vader 10 1,469 08-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: data01
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 785 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.