Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Liquid (H2O) coming out of nostrils??
Liquid (H2O) coming out of nostrils??
Good Afternoon!!
I purchased a new DreamWear Gel Pillows mask a few months ago.  Boy howdy did it change the way I sleep.  However, I have started to notice that I am getting liquid on my top lip while I am sleeping.(I sleep on my back, for the most part)  I figured it was probably the humidifier in my CPAP so I adjusted that level to zero.  I am still having issues and it is waking me up at night.  Also, I have not noticed any condensation in the mask itself.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there an answer for it?  Do I need to just keep my reservoir empty?  I'd hate to wake up with dry, cracked nose, but this discharge is making me crazy.
I always appreciate the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Liquid (H2O) coming out of nostrils??
Have you tried replacing the mask with a new one?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
your humidifier and hose temp settings are the first place to look for the cause. it'll vary from person to person and location to location but my preferences are to have water in the humidifier without turning it on and a low hose temp around 74 F. all you can do is try different settings.

here's a long shot: I have 2 mask frames for a different pillows mask than yours - the airfit p10. with no obvious moisture in the mask or pillows, I get the wet upper lip, mustache in my case, lately when I use the older frame, possibly due to the problem described elsewhere on AB, in which the exhalation mesh gets dirty, damp, wet enough to restrict mask venting. I'm not sure that's my problem though and certainly not sure it's yours, but making sure your mask's exhalation port or vent is clean might help. in the case of the p10, I believe I've read that a water flosser is about all that is up to the task of clearing the p10 vents once they're clogged; dunno about yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would check the temperature in your bedroom. Your nose and lungs are very good at adding moisture to the air you exhale, and I have found moisture in the mask as it condenses when my room gets to about 20C (68F). Turning up or down on the CPAP humidity or temperature doesn't seem to make much difference. It happens every Spring for me.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster:  The mask is only about 6 months old.  I didn't think I would need a new one this quick.  It might be an option.

Sheepless:  My DreamStation doesn't allow me to adjust the temp of the humidifier.  It is either "Adaptive" or "Fixed".  I switched it to "Fixed" and turned the Humidity setting to zero.  That helped a ton.  I still had the periodic issue, but not the water hose I have been experiencing over the last few months.

pholynyk:  During Spring and summer I keep my room at 72f.  I could see how that might also effect the water mustache. (Thanks Sheepless... that's a great term).  I am very hot blooded so I am going to have to put up with the wet to keep my room cool.

It's only been one night, but last night was a lot better than any previous.  Thanks for the pointers!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2019, 02:07 PM)JohnnyRotten Wrote: The mask is only about 6 months old.  I didn't think I would need a new one this quick.  It might be an option.

Any DME will tell you masks are designed to last 3 months, nasal pillows even less! But people have reported using them for a year or more.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 71 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,204 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Question [News] RESMED CHANGES COMING? srlevine1 6 984 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows? OpineCone 64 24,013 12-21-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 689 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 636 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Are my symptoms even coming from sleep apnea? OSCAR attached apmea 8 864 08-23-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.