Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for a better mask
Looking for a better mask
I'm using the AirFit F20 and I am looking for something that will hurt my face less on the sides and dig into me less.

There are not nearly as many options as people will have you believe.

Is the AirTouch much better?

I want something with a thick gel like cushion.

There is something called Philips Comfortgel Blue mask. But it has the forehead thing (I assume that will give me forehead wrinkles) and the elbow in the front doesn't look like it quick disconnects like the ResMed ones. That is very important to me.

Are there DIY options? Has anyone ever modified a mask with their own creation?

I used to see an umbrella in the store with a soft mushy gel handle. I wish I could have a mask with a seal made out of that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for a better mask
Broomkstick,  the Airfit F20 is a compatible fit with the Airtouch F30 facial cushions which a memory foam material and gives better comfort.  I would try those first before investing in a whole new mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2019, 03:32 PM)WarEagle Wrote: Broomkstick,  the Airfit F20 is a compatible fit with the Airtouch F30 facial cushions which a memory foam material and gives better comfort.  I would try those first before investing in a whole new mask.

Quick clarification - the F30 is a hybrid FFM (under the nose and covers the mouth) and is not compatible with the F20 headgear.  The AirTouch you mentioned is actually also an F20, and is fully compatible with the F20 AirFit headgear and frame.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love how the F20 with memory foam feels and seals! I highly recommend it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 02:20 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I love how the F20 with memory foam feels and seals!  I highly recommend it.

Do you think local DMEs would let people try on the foam mask (they would let you try on the silicone version, for sure)? I'd be interested in "downgrading" to the F20 from the nasal pillow if it means that my seals would be significantly better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 02:20 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I love how the F20 with memory foam feels and seals!  I highly recommend it.

How long does the memory foam cushion last for you?
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 03:09 AM)vroomvroom Wrote:

Do you think local DMEs would let people try on the foam mask (they would let you try on the silicone version, for sure)? I'd be interested in "downgrading" to the F20 from the nasal pillow if it means that my seals would be significantly better.

Good question vroomvroom.

My DME does. It was hard to find a good DME where I am; I talked to everyone I saw with mask marks to ask who their Sleep Doc was, What DME they had, and were they happy with each.

The happiest person I talked to uses a Philips Resporinics blue gel full face mask He's used it for years.  He buys online, because he knows his size.

I never had issues with the pad on my forehead from nasal masks I used (Respironics, ResMed.)

I tease my DME that my bald spot comes from mask headgear, and they should do a better job fitting. Wink
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 03:09 AM)vroomvroom Wrote:

A good DME should.  My DME made me come in and try it on before they would let me take it.  They measured me and made a good guess as to my size, and it fit perfectly-ish; so I guess it worked out, that they didn't have to toss it.

The nasal mask I get the best seal with is the Wisp.  Have you tried it?  And Nuance Pro seals perfectly for me, too.

(07-23-2019, 06:38 AM)MitchS Wrote:

How long does the memory foam cushion last for you?

I just did an experiment, and it lasted me 5 weeks before it started leaking. I wash my face each night right before I go to sleep, so I have to assume that helps. 

For this experiment, I did not ever wipe/clean the foam.  (In the past when I had tried to wipe/clean the foam, it tore.  That's an expensive bummer.) I did wipe the inside (from the non-foam end) a couple of times, due to accumulated moisture.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was using the AirFit F20, Medium for many months with an uncomfortable fit - digit into my cheek bones too. I tried the AirTouch F20, Medium for about a week with worse results. The foam seal seemed to roll inward, as opposed to simply compressing, making the overall mask fit feel much smaller than a Medium. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get just a simple compression, it alway rolled inward. Then I double-checked with ResMed's fitting tool and figured out that my face measures squarely in between a Medium and Large. So I decided to try the AirFit 20, Large. So far, good results in many ways with the Large cushion. I purchased a Large AirTough F20 to test and see if it too has a "roll-in" feel of the memory foam which might net a fit and feel somewhere between a Medium and Large. Haven't done that test yet, but plan on testing it for a couple weeks. Then I plan to post a product review with my findings.

Not sure if this helps much, but the perfect mask eludes me as well. I look forward to read any progress you make in getting a better-fit mask.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2019, 05:23 PM)RayBee Wrote: I was using the AirFit F20, Medium for many months with an uncomfortable fit - digit into my cheek bones too. I tried the AirTouch F20, Medium for about a week with worse results. The foam seal seemed to roll inward, as opposed to simply compressing, making the overall mask fit feel much smaller than a Medium. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get just a simple compression, it alway rolled inward. Then I double-checked with ResMed's fitting tool and figured out that my face measures squarely in between a Medium and Large. So I decided to try the AirFit 20, Large. So far, good results in many ways with the Large cushion. I purchased a Large AirTough F20 to test and see if it too has a "roll-in" feel of the memory foam which might net a fit and feel somewhere between a Medium and Large. Haven't done that test yet, but plan on testing it for a couple weeks. Then I plan to post a product review with my findings.

Not sure if this helps much, but the perfect mask eludes me as well. I look forward to read any progress you make in getting a better-fit mask.

I too, am using the AirFit F20 in large. That's what I used in my two night in-lab sleep study. I tried an F30, and did well for a few months. 

All of a sudden, the F30 was leaking air on me, badly. I went back to the F20 and all is good.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,633 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,313 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,874 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,111 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,449 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,883 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,603 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.