Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking to reduce leaks/optimize results
Looking to reduce leaks/optimize results
I've been using Cpap for a few years but I've been having some trouble with it recently. I've lost a decent amount of weight (25ish pounds) and cut way back on alcohol consumption (went from 10-12 drinks per day to about that many or less per week). I've also started having a lot more large leak duration, waking up with my mouth completely dry and my lips stuck to my teeth which is obnoxious. Chin straps don't help, I'm not really opening my mouth but just slightly puffing out my lips which breaks the seal and starts the air flow out. 

I was thinking that maybe the reduced weight/alcohol means that I don't need as high of a pressure. On nights when I do consume alcohol, I have almost no leaks. My plan was to start dropping the pressure by one notch every night until the leaks stopped but I'm not 100% sure that this is the best idea so after a couple of days I decided to post here and see if anyone else had any ideas. 

I feel like I'm sleeping decently well but not as well as I could be and I would really like to optimize my machine to get the best sleep possible. My doctor referred me to get another sleep study because of the weight loss/alcohol reduction but my insurance denied it so hopefully someone here can help me.

I can provide whatever OSCAR data would be the most helpful, but for now I'll just post two representative examples, last night where I had about 5 drinks and Wednesday with 0 drinks. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking to reduce leaks/optimize results
Therapy looks good, and you may be able to tolerate a lower pressure. With the Elite you are using a pressure of 9.0 and EPR 3 so 9/6 pressure is the result, and is not particularly high. You can try resetting pressure to 8.0 and see if that improves comfort and leaks. I don't expect a major change in therapy. I really don't understand why your doctor would want another titration. This is something you can do yourself, and observe the changes in Oscar and how you feel. Maybe next time, your doctor will prescribe the Autoset so you get automatic pressure adjustments when you need it. I tend to relax more and can have very low event rates on nights I have some drinks. There is a variety of tolerance among individuals to drinking and efficacy, and you seem to be comfortable with it.

Looking at your charts, on the 12th I see you started off with some high respiration flow, which is common before we settle down and respiration slows. You seem to take deep slow breaths as you start therapy, and that is consistent in both charts. There is a cluster of obstructive events which I think you can disregard for so early in the night, and the rest of the night is very quiet and even except for some high leaks. On the 15th you had some trouble settling and restarted twice. The events are not a big concern and leaks are much better on this session.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 4 54 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 5 65 5 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,403 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,345 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 405 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,548 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,958 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.