Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lots of Flow Limitations -- What's Going On?
Lots of Flow Limitations -- What's Going On?
I think I have a flow limitation problem, but I need expert help to understand what's going on, whether it really is a problem, and how to fix it if it is a problem.

Here's last night, which is fairly typical for me -- low AHI but lots of flow limitations all night long:

[attachment=11243]

Here's a close-up of a typical stretch of breaths:

[attachment=11244]

Should I be concerned and adjust my settings to address the flow limitations, or leave well enough alone?  My AHI is almost always between 1.5-2.5; it's sometimes lower, like last night, and sometimes higher, but it's virtually always under 5.  I've been using my APAP faithfully ever since I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago.  My sleep doctor thinks I'm doing great, and I feel good.

I've changed my pressure and EPR settings here and there to see what that would do, but as far as I can tell there has been no impact one way or the other on flow limitations or breath patterns.

Experts out there: can you give me your thoughts?

Thanks,
AndyB
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lots of Flow Limitations -- What's Going On?
As you said lots of flow limitations, but with good numbers.
With good numbers I do recommend that changes be based more on how you feel, and not the numbers.

I'm going to suggest setting EPR to 3 to help knock down those Flow Limitations.  Pressure Support is what is used to treat Flow Limitations on a BiLevel and EPR is very similar to PS.  We should also increase your pressures by 1 to maintain the same therapeutic value.  As with any change in settings, try, evaluate, then modify if necessary.
Make sure that your flag for RERA is set on (drop down on the lower left of the graphs).  The close up you provided is almost a classic example of a RERA, the only thing missing is the arousal at the end.

Here is a good chart showing a RERA with the arousal at the end.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred -- thank you very much for your fast and helpful response.  I will do as you suggest, and report back after a few days of treatment with the adjusted settings.

RERA flag is on -- guess my machine didn't count it as an event worth recording.

By the way, I don't see a chart attached to your message -- am I missing something?

Thanks,
AndyB
Post Reply Post Reply
Thyis

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...erapy#RERA
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred -- here's an RERA from 2 nights ago that my machine flagged.  I assume what happened here is the "classic" RERA breath pattern you referenced and is shown in the Wiki example, yes? Just trying to read the chart better . . . 

[attachment=11247]
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty classic, The question is how often do you have something similar on the nights but not as severe on the arousal. Note That RERAs are scored by noting a drop in the flow rate (think hypopnea like) over a fairly brief period of time (Minutes) BUT if you have the drop for a longer period of time before the arousal a RERA Event will not be scored because the machine assumes that the reduced "level, is your new normal and therefore you are NOT experiencing a reduction. RERAs need to be manually checked for this reason especially if you see long stretches of Flow Restrictions as I see in your charts.
FYI it is always good to have the zero redline on the FlowRate shart, it separates the inhale from the exhale. (Inhale above)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your continued help Fred.

I have numerous (really almost constant) flow limitations every night, but usually very few or no RERA events are flagged.  Here are 3 recent nights that are typical:

[attachment=11263]

[attachment=11262]

[attachment=11264]

And here is a representative close up of a high flow limitation that was not flagged as an RERA.

[attachment=11265]

This is very interesting stuff -- thanks for sharing your expertise.

AndyB
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to the charts above, here's another typical example of a high flow limitation that didn't trigger an RERA event, and also was not followed by a significant arousal, as seems normally to be the case for me (i.e., no arousal).  Mysterious . . . (at least to me).

[attachment=11266]
Post Reply Post Reply
Andy, I agree with Fred. You clearly have persistent flow limitations and with your current tool, the Airsense 10 Autoset, you are limited to 3 cm of pressure support (EPR). You should definitely set the EPR to 3, but the ideal answer for you may be the higher pressure support from a bilevel machine like the Aircurve 10 Vauto. Insurance is unlikely to agree, but here are a couple wiki articles that show bilevel is generally more effective. At least you have the Autoset which is much better than other alternatives.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2019, 07:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Andy, I agree with Fred. You clearly have persistent flow limitations and with your current tool, the Airsense 10 Autoset, you are limited to 3 cm of pressure support (EPR).  You should definitely set the EPR to 3, but the ideal answer for you may be the higher pressure support from a bilevel machine like the Aircurve 10 Vauto. Insurance is unlikely to agree, but here are a couple wiki articles that show bilevel is generally more effective.  At least you have the Autoset which is much better than other alternatives.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation

Fred and Sleeprider -- I am very grateful for your generosity of spirit and expert advice.  I'm amazed at the knowledge you both possess, and by your willingness to share it with the lucky folks like me who have found this incredible community.  THANK YOU!

AndyB
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Bilevel and lots of CAs Thorne88 0 46 6 hours ago
Last Post: Thorne88
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 101 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 266 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,615 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.