Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI, still having several arousals and bad sleep. Please help
Low AHI, still having several arousals and bad sleep. Please help
Hi everyone!

Hope somebody could help me out and throw some insight on my CPAP reports. I have been a CPAP user for two years now, and since I started using it, my sleep improved drastically and was able to get a good quality sleep. Unfortunately, it's been a few months since my sleep has gone to "hell". I keep waking up several times throughout the night despite having a low AHI. I have a resmed air10(CPAP,no APAP).

Initially I was put a fixed pressure of 9, now that I went back to the doctors, they gave me the APAP for 2 days and came back with a pressure of 6 along with a humidifier. I feel this has helped a bit, nevertheless arousals are frequent and I feel exausted all the time. I've been playing around with different pressures and my AHI seems to get away even with low pressures. My Epap is on 3

I've added reports from different days on different pressures. Let me know if any zoom or other detais are needed.

Thank you so much in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHI, still having several arousals and bad sleep. Please help
Quimey, welcom to Apnea board. At first glance, your therapy looks very good at a pressure of 7.0 with EPR 3. Most of your residual events are obstructive and are related to the flow limitation that remains at your current pressure. With EPR at 3, your pressure is very low at 7.0/4.0 (inhale/exhale), so since you have already used all the EPR available, you need to start titrating your pressure higher to see if you can improve your sleep and lower the flow limits which are currently in the 95% range of 0.07 to 0.15. I recommend you try increasing pressure in 1-cm increments and use the new pressure for several nights. Track the results based on how you feel as well as looking for changes in event rates and 95% flow limitation. I think you will see improvement somewhere around 9.0 cm pressure which will be 9.0/6.0 with EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the response and the advice, I will try tonight on 8 to see how it goes although I am a bit concerned as the night with pressure 7 felt worst than the night with 5.6. Any reasons that's the way to go?

Thank you for your time and I will post the reports tomorrow on pressure 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I had no history on past pressures and what has felt best/worst or your results at any pressure other than the current 7.0/4.0. At 8.0/4.0, I'm looking for flow limitations to be reduced. This may be sufficient to stop arousals or awakening. We all have different tolerance for pressure and I hope you will give me honest feedback after trying this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning,  I have tried the pressure on 8 and had a pretty bad night, woke up more than usual to be honest . I'll attach the report 

Thank you

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This lowered the 95% flow limitation below all previous charts to 0.05. I consider that to be a success for the numbers, but not for your sleep quality. Was the pressure specifically disruptive or something else?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
the only thing that changed was the pressure and I just noticed that had more arousals than usual. I cant tell if it was the pressure the disrupting factor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest giving it another night before reverting back. If any of your arousal issues are related the CPAP therapy, then this is the only logical path forward. It's certainly possible that it is at least no worse. A 1-cm pressure change is relatively minor, and it had no effect on your respiratory statistics. Since your therapy is just fine at a pressure of 7 or 8, it's completely up to you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 703 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 676 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,323 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.