Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI, tired foggy mind
RE: Low AHI, tired foggy mind
Last night data with mouthtape and fullface mask, still getting a lot of 50% reduction flow rate 

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey there. I've been watching this thread because I have a similar issue with lowish AHI and foggy mind. Hoping you get your problem worked out.

I'm no pro, but just wanted to comment here that I believe the earlier suggestions for using mouth tape was assuming that you used a nasal mask. I don't think taping your mouth closed when using a full face mask will help unless you are just trying to get used to the tape while waiting for your nasal mask to arrive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually ivee seen some benefits since ive started mouth taping and i dont know why, you can see the Daily log and the improvement in ahi ecc, what about your experience? Im trying to get the most information possibile about this condition because there Is not much around and every help Is appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, there's clearly a big improvement even with a full face mask here.

My theory - your jaw cannot drop as further when asleep when mouth taping, particularly in REM, as your lips are taped together it will only allow so much jaw drop.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a cervical collar, Will try to use It again, when i used the collar my apnea time increased by a lot
Post Reply Post Reply
I hadn't thought of that @Apnea23. Interesting theory!

@Artanox - I don't want to hijack your thread with my issues and will open my own thread soon. So just to share my experience (not asking for advice) I think my issues are due to constantly waking up. I'm working on getting my pressure just right because too low of a minimum doesn't control my OA's but too high gives me CA's and big pressure changes wake me up. I'm like Goldilocks and trying to find something that's JUST RIGHT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daily update, 14 fixed pressure with EPR off

Night + Morning data

Night with mouthtape + cervical collar

Morning with mouthtape

Scored a 0 during the night but still got those 20%, 50% reduction in flow rate events 

Should i try to increase the pressure to get rid of those reduction in flow rate events?
Post Reply Post Reply
Am I right in thinking you have no events or arousals during the other stages of sleep - that's all fine like mine except those flow limitations?

If so I am thinking APAP can't help our situation during REM.

So why not try 14cm fixed with EPR 2 or 3 tonight to see if that resolves the flow limits, and then keep lowering the fixed pressure by 1cm or 2cm each night and compare the results over the next few days? Looks like more pressure would result in worse leaks and more chaos therapy, especially during those suspected REM stages for you?

After last night I'm considering the fact that too little or too much pressure during REM will destroy this sleep stage for us, due to how we breath during REM for whatever underlying reason. But these demands will change every night, every position, and APAP cannot help.

Starting to think we need a machine that can treat all sleep stages differently but automatically adjusting to keep a decent sleeping/breathing/flow rate, like an ASV Auto that can keep a more consistent flow, breath to breath etc throughout the entirety of our sleep.

I wish I was an expert.

Still, I think most experts don't recognise or see the impact of this REM disruption in the charts. They don't understand the effects, symptoms. It all looks OK on the charts. Nothing to see.

It seems to ME like we can pretty much ignore the other parts of our sleep which are mostly fine with low AHI and no arousals and focus on these 3 periods that are effected. What changes that we are making improve this area of sleep, and what more can we do without another more capable machine...

My biggest improvement to these REM stages so far was going from my normal APAP minimum of 8cm with EPR 3 to fixed 6.6cm or 8cm with no EPR but the stages are still messed up, especially further on in the night during the last 2 stages, and I don't get the 20% REM I should be getting and DO get without my machine. Yes the machine stops obstructions and OHA, night sweats are gone now etc, but it can't handle whatever my breathing is doing wrong on CPAP during these REM cycles.

Honestly I'm thinking of selling my Aircurve VAuto and Autoset and buying an Aircurve ASV, which can hopefully treat these periods properly.

I can't experiment randomly forever and suffer like this for much longer. Today was absolute hell.

5 minutes of REM is no joke. I went from having the most REM I've had at 8cm to the least I've had at 10cm. It is all very annoying.
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally feel you. With how i'm feeling day to day i'm not functional enough to work and i dont know if what i'm doing is somewhat correct or not.
Right now i have this full face mask and no matter what i do i cannot get a zero leak rate even when i test while asleep with no leaks and mouth closed, bho.
I will see my sleep doctor soon to change the mask and see if this makes a difference in the leak rate.
What i saw was the difference with cervical collar and without, so i think this is also a positional apnea problem

I will try tonight with 14 fixed and 3 EPR to try get rid of flow limitation
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2023, 07:43 AM)Artanox Wrote: Daily update, 14 fixed pressure with EPR off

Night + Morning data

Night with mouthtape + cervical collar

Morning with mouthtape

Scored a 0 during the night but still got those 20%, 50% reduction in flow rate events 

Should i try to increase the pressure to get rid of those reduction in flow rate events?

The night with mouth tape and cervical collar looks much better I think?

Maybe without leaks, or fixed with EPR you will be fine!

Fingers crossed!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 109 Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 219 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 468 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 286 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,406 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 282 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 182 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.