Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Support Question
RE: Pressure Support Question
I saw this in a post from the past, "Far from getting expiration relief, the patient is actually getting LESS than his prescribed EPAP pressure (7 instead of 10) and a healthy dose of pressure support (3.0) that he may not need and which may actually cause him problems."

Why would a pressure support of 3.0 cause problems? What type of problem would you typically experience with unneeded pressure support?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR and pressure support are different, but often confused, terms.  If you set your APAP machine for a minimum pressure of 10 (with an EPR of 0), you get 10cm h2o of pressure, both when you inhale and when you exhale.  That is the pressure you have determined is the lowest needed to keep your airway open at all times.  If you set the EPR to 3, you lower the pressure you are getting during exhale from 10 to 7, resulting in too low a pressure, and an increased chance for an event (this is, I think, the answer to your question).

On the other hand, with bilevel treatment, you set the minimum pressure (10 in the example), and the pressure support increases the pressure for inhalation (to 13 if you used a PS of 3), so your therapy never drops below the minimum you had determined you needed to keep your airways open.

If you use a regular APAP with EPR, you really need to raise the minimum pressure by the amount of EPR to make sure you get enough pressure.  EPR lowers the minimum pressure to make exhalation easier, while PS (which I think you only get in bilevel machines or ventilators) increases the pressure higher than the minimum to increase tidal volume, encourage inhalation or get past flow limitations making inhalation easier.

Sleeprider described the benefits and drawbacks in an earlier post.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2023, 02:29 PM)MrIvanDrago Wrote: Why would a pressure support of 3.0 cause problems? What type of problem would you typically experience with unneeded pressure support?

Too much (or little) pressure support, whether EPR or PS on Vauto, can create different issues for people. For me, if I have PS < 4 I get CA’s, but if I have it > 4 I get CA’s. For others, there is no end of problems too little or too much PS can cause, like too little or too much pressure. 

Everyone’s pressure needs are different. We need to see as much data as is available to help them find what works as best it can.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2023, 06:38 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: Too much (or little) pressure support, whether EPR or PS on Vauto, can create different issues for people. For me, if I have PS < 4 I get CA’s, but if I have it > 4 I get CA’s. For others, there is no end of problems too little or too much PS can cause, like too little or too much pressure. 

Everyone’s pressure needs are different. We need to see as much data as is available to help them find what works as best it can.

So you use trigger settings to high? Very high? Or normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
I currently have it on very high. When I wear the Evora FFM and use medium my AHI is 2-3, high is 1-2, very high < 1. 

With pillows it is almost the same, although I do drop my pressure from 8-12 to 7-11 as I seem to need less pressure with them. No idea why…
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a subtle detectable difference in FL between the two nights, where the higher PS resulted in less FL. That said, in both cases it's n=1 data, so we can't exactly slam the gavel. FL is a bit of an enigma, and there is even a measurable degree of FL within the general population (no SDB, no complaints, no symptoms people). The most common cohort is FL for about 5% of the night, and some researchers have suggested that FL beyond 30% of the night could be used as a threshold for screening for SDB patients. So, to your question whether the flow limitation or residual obstruction is still disturbing your sleep, the answer is that we cannot know but also that both suggestions are reasonable: that is, it could be contributing or it could not. Arousal threshold between patients is something often overlooked but now well-established, and so the question is whether or not even a little bit of airway resistance is problematic for you. Once patients start getting woken up around 15 times per hour, they start to get really sleepy, though this is an average, and by "waking up" I mean EEG arousal signatures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CPAPfriend,

In regards to the 5% and 30% figures you mentioned for flow limits, I wanted to understand how this correlates to the Med, 95 and 99.5% figures in Oscar.

What is an acceptable or preferable Flow limit figure in Oscar, I dont understand how the percentages correlate to the one figure. When I look in Oscar there are always flow limits shown, but the Med is always 0.0 and the 99.5% is somewhere between 0.10 and 0.20 on a PS of 6.6 to 8 and goes upto about 0.45 on PS of 5. Are these these good figures or bad?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,448 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 664 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 459 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 716 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 312 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pressure Support David Clark 23 1,766 01-08-2024, 04:01 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,155 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.