Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lower auto pressure while loosing weight?
Lower auto pressure while loosing weight?
I am trying to loose weight. I think the pressure max is around 14, and lowest is 4 (correct me is this make no sense). The averate pressure a night is around 10. If I loose weight, will this averate pressure decrease?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lower auto pressure while loosing weight?
Based on personal experience, not necessarily. I had my settings at APAP min 8 and max 12, but as I started to lose weight a few months ago, my AHI started to increase (mix of both OA's and CA's as recorded by my Resmed 10 Autoset) with EPR at 2. So I progressively started to reduce the min and max pressures as I lost weight. Now, after losing some 25 lbs, I'm on APAP 6.4/10.4 with EPR 2, and my AHI is usually less than 1. In theory, with you min at 4 (the lowest the machine can go) and a relatively high max of 4, the machine should settle on the optimum pressure treatment for you. But these machines are only as good as their algorithms and they're far from perfect. Download Oscar and post some screenshots here and you should get some useful feedback about optimising your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a crap shoot.  I would advise against anticipating any change, but even if one seems to be indicated, the machine ought to self-titrate and let you know what it needs to keep you inflated.  

BTW, that low setting of 4 is not advised on this forum. We find so many coming here with that low pressure set by care providers of all kinds, but they say they're having trouble breathing and remove the mask without ever fully waking.  No mask = no therapy.  If you can, try a low setting of not less than 5.5 cm H2O, and you may find that 6 is just great.
Post Reply Post Reply
In theory yes. But don't count on it.

To do a trial afté a significant health change is reasonable, but that is merely a trial to see if the lower pressure works.

It is a popular myth that APAPs find your optimum pressure. What the algorithms do is to simply increase pressure if obstructive events occur and reduce pressure if they do not occur. They will decrease pressure until obstructive events once again appear and pressure is increased. Pressure needs to be optimized at a level where these hunt and search techniques are minimized.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement Fox66 9 208 Yesterday, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Fox66
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 95 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 246 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 450 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 249 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 421 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 446 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.