Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

MADE USER NAME CHANGE TO MY COMPUTER: NEED HELP WITH OSCAR ERROR MESSAGE
Question 
MADE USER NAME CHANGE TO MY COMPUTER: NEED HELP WITH OSCAR ERROR MESSAGE
Hope someone can help with this:

Apple helped me change the user name of my computer this morning.  But now I get this message.  The message contains my old computer user name instead of my new.  I don't know which option to choose, yes or no?

I'm afraid I will lose access to all my previous data.

[attachment=49635]
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MADE USER NAME CHANGE TO MY COMPUTER: NEED HELP WITH OSCAR ERROR MESSAGE
PS.  We deleted and/or changed the name of my Mac user folder.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
The warning means that it will set up a new data folder in the new user's home directory. You will need to copy your OSCAR_Data folder from your previous user accounts home directory to the same location within the new one to gain access to all your previous data.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson.  But are you able to tell me the steps I need to take to accomplish this?  I get the concept of having to make a copy of the existing data folder but am lost as to how to accomplish the rest of your instructions.

I mean I can open the SD Card and copy the data folder to my desktop and then exactly what steps do I take to proceed?  Where do I find the same location within the new one?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you deleted the folder with your old username then the data is gone.  OSCAR typically saves the data in /Users/<your-old-username>/Documents/OSCAR_Data
You can look in Trash and see if you you can restore it from there.

If you just changed the folder name then you can copy OSCAR_Data to your new username: /Users/<your-new-username>/Documents/OSCAR_Data
The tell OSCAR to use that new location.

To see if both usernames are still there, open Finder and in the left pane click "Macintosh HD" then "Users" and you should get something like this:

Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to the MAC HD and when I click on the user folder I see my new name for a user but I don't see my old name.  I don't see anything user related in my trash.  

Since I have all my files on my SD card wouldn't it be simpler to delete the OSCAR application and re-install it and then everything would be normal again under my new user?
Post Reply Post Reply
What would happen if I select NO on the message?  Will OSCAR then make a way to create new folder?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, deleting the OSCAR.app only deletes the app itself. There are a couple of preference files hidden away in you library so another install of OSCAR.app would still look for the old location for your data.

Select NO in that popup window then choose the new location under your new computer username.

Just curious.... Did you reboot your Mac after you did the name change? If not, do that first then try the NO button in that OSCAR window....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jeff.

I clicked on no in the message and finally figured it out.  All my previous charts are there! (Except for my changes to device statistics from 2019 showing my old machines and my recent iVAPS usage)

You're my hero!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 106 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  Getting message "Your Resmed CPAP machine has not been tested yet". It's AirSense 11. PurpleOx 32 4,283 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 234 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR- How to set time change to (Daylight Savings time) Reesche 5 751 01-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Reesche
Exclaimation Import CSV from computer KK7X 2 546 10-29-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: KK7X
  Error while installing OSCAR on Lenovo Chromebook Bodie 15 1,234 10-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Bodie
Question Change Statistics view default to Monthly instead of Standard? retro 4 563 10-06-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.