Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mac computers
RE: Mac computers
I realize some are using extremely high resolution monitors.   I imported a screenshot today from my computer with 1920x1080 resolution, and the file size is 134 kb, and the screen capture is 100% the OSCAR window, not the whole screen, menu bars, etc.  What am I doing so differently? i have access to a Macbook Pro, so I guess I'll have to check out what it is doing.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12475]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It makes no difference how I capture the screenshot, I end with files over 1 MB. I just tried taking screenshots from a different day using the standard OSCAR screenshot function and and the shift + command + 4 method Oxfeedface suggested, cropping the file to the same view. The OSCAR screenshot function produced a png file of 1.3 MB. The method Oxfeedface suggested produced a slightly larger file at 1.5 MB. Both files were still large enough I had to use the two step method I mentioned to get them small enough to post on the forum.

It is definitely the higher resolution screen causing the large file sizes. I just installed OSCAR on the Windows virtual machine on the iMac and took a screenshot of the same day I used earlier. The png file size was 89 KB. The virtual machine has a low resolution display.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not just the Retina Screen. Taking Sleeprider's screenshot (133 KiB) and exporting it as a new PNG with Preview.app creates a file which is 207 KiB, because – you guessed it – Preview.app silently adds an alpha channel (and other information like a color profile). The funny thing is in the Export Dialog it tells you the resulting image would be 176 KiB. But that is only the case if you open it again and export it without the Alpha channel checkmark. During the first export it doesn't even give you the option.

So we are left with a 207 KiB image. Multiply that by 4 and you are already way beyond 700 KiB on a Retina screen for an image coming form a 1080p screen. If you have a 5K iMac, which is essentially a 1440p screen can you easily get even larger files.

I hope there is some way this can be dealt with in OSCAR but as of yet I haven't had any good idea that would work on all platforms. You would essentially need to rerender the OSCAR window into a lower-resolution offscreen buffer instead of just grabbing the pixels that are already on screen. Downscaling the image after the fact is likely to not yield very readable results (as MitchS already discovered).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the explanation. That explains why I was ending up with files that were too large to post even though Preview indicated they were a small enough.

Now that I know how to process the screenshot to post it on the forum, I’m satisfied. Yes, it would be easier to be able to just use the screenshot without processing it, but it doesn’t really take much time to process the file and I rarely post data so I’m good.

Thanks again for your help.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for your replies. I spent some time yesterday and realized the only way to modify a chart is in the screenshot itself. Haven't had any experience doing that until now so I feel really empowered! Will post last night's chart in my other thread, "EPR question".
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR for old computers EeVee 6 406 09-13-2023, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Clone/Sync Sleepyhead data on two computers coolbranch 6 3,385 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Last Post: coolbranch

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.